whats a good time for a toddler to go to bed?

what time does your toddler go to bed? for jade is differs. on the days she doesnt take a nap is 730. on the days she does, its 10. and how do you get your toddler to go to bed?

Groove

Asked by Groove at 12:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I put my soon-to-be three y.o to bed a 8:00 sharp. Any later, and it's hard to get him down as he gets overtired. He also takes a 2 hour nap every afternoon. I get him to go to bed by following a routine every night. He knows what to expect and what comes next. Kids thrive on the security that comes with familiarity.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 12:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• we do have some sort of routine. after dinner we wash up and brush our teeth. then we turn off all the lights but the desk lamp in the living room. we read or cuddle or talk. and then she'll actually get up and go to the bed and get under the covers. but it wont be for another few hours till she'll actually go to sleep. i dk what im doing wrong.
    Groove

Answer by Groove at 12:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My 2 year old goes to sleep at 8:00. She takes an afternoon nap from 11:30 - 1:30 every day.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• my 3 1/2 yr old goes to bed at 830 and takes an hour and a half nap. If i let him sleep longer then an hour and a half he is hard to put to bed.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• for the past few days my son has been taking one long nap in the afternoon, so his bedtime has been earlier. it's usually around 730-8pm. he wakes in the morning anytime between 830-10am.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My kids' general bedtime is 8pm. Some days they do go to bed later depending on what our family is doing on that day. I think it is fine that a child lays in bed awake. Sometimes my son goes to sleep right away while other nights he talks to himself, sings, plays with his bear, or plays with his music box. Alone time is good for kids and he learns how to self sooth himself to sleep. No matter what time we get him to bed we always use the same sleep routine, however my sister in law does not use a routine and our son sleeps at her house just fine. I wouldn't worry about your child as long as there are no health problems. You may want to talk with your doctor for suggestions. Every child is different in temperament, and eating/sleeping styles. We just need to figure them out and meet them.

yalomsita

Answer by yalomsita at 1:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• my 3 and 1 year olds bed time is 9 or 9:30 in teh summer becuase at 9 its still way to light outside!

we dont follow a schedule really. just started putting them down at that time after they were done bfing... some nights its a fight with the 3 year old, he dosent take a nap and can get out of his room, but we jsut put him back....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 1:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• nap at 1pm bed at 7
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• are you kidding? bed at 7? most days dinner isnt until 7! bed time in my house is either when hes ready,usually about 915,or when mom cant take anymore baby time and needs some alone time to regather her mental state lol last night i put my 2 yr old to bed at 10 to 9 n he was up at 240 in the freakin morning wanting to play!!!! wtf! i had to hold him and rock him,which i dont mind except hes a moose, until he went to sleep again then i still had to get up at 7 n still go to school.....
    Crushersmommy

Answer by Crushersmommy at 2:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• p.s. he takes at least a 1 hour nap at day care every day as well so its not like he takes on a full day
    Crushersmommy

Answer by Crushersmommy at 2:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009