What do you consider Voodoun and Santeria??

I have always though of both as offshoots of Christianity because they both tend to have a belief in the God of the Bible and Jesus (to my knowledge). But I just got "The Everything Paganism Book" (which I would highly recommend to all) and chater 13 is all about Vodoun and Santeria... So do you consider them to be Pagan or Christian or both?

Just opinions here please... I don't think there is a right or wrong, chances are if you asked half of them would say one and the other half would say the other...

Oh, and if you do follow one of these paths, what do YOU consider yourself?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• santeria is a more folkloric type of religion....hispanic/caribbean roots and they do not look to only one god. they have catholic and native american traditions mixed a bit. they also have priests and priestesses
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• with voodoo aka vodun as the correct name..their is haitian voo doo, lousiana southern voodoo, west african voodoo...all different in their own ways. Each group follows a different spiritual path and worships a slightly different pantheon of spirits, called Loa. The word means "mystery" in the Yoruba language.

they believe in one chief god, and lesser gods
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• with both of these religions, god fearing ppl tried to force them to believe in the bible and god and forced many of them with physical threats to become baptized..but they continued to practice in secret what they truly believed.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I consider them both - just like Christian Wicca
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• hmm...Santeria has a lot of Catholicism in it so i'd say its both. but ive always thought Voodoun (if its Voodoo) was a Pagan belief. i thought they had more than one God & had mystical rituals/curses. but all i think i know about Voodoo is from movies, so its prolly only half-true if not completely wrong haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• They are considered Pagan practices, but they both have roots in Catholicism, as well as "pagan" ritual and practices from the "homeland".
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I consider them to be a mixture of both. I suppose different practitioners lean more heavily to one side or the other most of the time. But as belief systems I don't think they can be put strictly in either category.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Santeria originated in the religion of the Yoruba peoples of Africa. They believe in a Creator-God (Olodumare) and certain nature spirits, called orishas So it does not have it's roots in Catholicsim. What happened was Yoruba people wre captured slaves and sent to Cuba where they were baptized and expected to practice Catholicism. May didn't want to and they couldn't practice their faith in the open so they hid their faith using Catholic symbolism so they could contiue to worship the African spirits in secret. So it is a native African religions and not really rooted in Catholicism.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Like Santeria, Vodoun teaches of a supreme being (Bondye) who is too exhaulted to be contacted by humans so believers call on leasser spirits (the loa) for help. And like Santeria it was practiced by those brought from Africa as slaves and used Catholic symbols to hid their non-Catholic beliefs. Neither Santeria or Vodoun is Christian - but I guess techinically they are montheiestic - they just believe in a distant god. They're both examples of syncrietism.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I consider them to be witchcraft for those with inflated egos. I have never thought of them as christian at all, even though they use catholic rituals in their ceremonies.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2009