Can you give me one good reason?

Can you give me one good reason to enact a Universal Health Care system? Can you give me one good reason for free health care for all?

blakebrm

Asked by blakebrm at 12:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, I can't. My family is low income, but not low enough to get medicaid. My husband has high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes, I have to take synthroid for thyroid problems, and one of our kids have asthma. We can't afford private health insurance. Even with all that, we only pay 50 to 140 dollars a month for doctor visits and medication.
    Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to be able to spend that money on going out once in a while, we can totally afford it. It's not that bad, it is affordable.
    Isn't my family one that UHC is supposed to help? I don't want it!
    Anonymous

• Well, I guess it's so all the people who already suck off of the government can get more from it. I'm sorry, but I am not okay with paying for gang related gunshot wounds and the STD's idiots get. It would be good for the children of those careless individuals that have multiple kids just for a check from the government, so maybe there should only be free healthcare for children under 12 or something.
    twocutetwins09

Answer by twocutetwins09 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• No. I can't. It wouldn't be free anyhow.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Don't quote me, twocutetwins, but I believe that in certain states there already is free health care for children under a certain age. Once again I am not sure so that is something that I am going to have to look up and if I find a source I will post it for everyone.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 1:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• You seriously can't think of a good reason to allow everyone access to reasonable health care? Please tell me you're joking. Actually don't because that's not the least bit funny. Please tell me you're drunk and speaking nonsense.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• First off, its not going to be free. Secondly, WE HAVE NO MONEY!
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• RhondaVeggie, do you realize that with rights come responsibilities? Do you realize that more people would DIE under a Universal Health Care plan than would with current plans? People would die waiting to be treated. People would go undiagnosed and preventative health care would be almost null and void b/c of how long that it would take to get in to actually see your doctor or any other doctor. Prostate exams and routine mammograms would not be so"routine" anymore. It would be a mess and you do realize that the lost money would be regained somewhere don't you? Our parents teach us that nothing in this life is truly free and you get what you pay for. This will not be any different. BTW,where is your good reason?
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 1:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• No but I do know that our current system is badly broken and in need of serious reform. Ones health should not be dependent on their income.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Also, I am not saying that free health coverage is going to happen anytime soon if it ever does but so many people rally for this and use Canada as our guide but I see no good reason to enact any UHC.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 1:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Hmmm, well how about the almost 100,000 deaths per year caused by lack of health insurance? Do you want to ask the families of those who have died because they had no insurance why they think healthcare is important? Or how about the millions of Americans that can't afford insurance but still work jobs? Ask the people who, even with insurance, choose to leave our country to seek medical care because it's so much cheaper.

DH and I don't live off the government. He was laid off, but we got by without going on PA. He starts a job this month, but there are no benefits with it. He'll make too much at this job for our daughter to qualify for CHIP (which isn't free). There are millions of Americans in the same position we're in. Health insurance is simply too expensive, an extra $500/month with a $5,000 deductible. There's no way we can afford that. I don't want FREE government health insurance, but then again that's not the plan.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 1:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2009