Why does God allow natural disasters to happen?

I'm interested in hearing this from a Christian perspective. Why would God, who presumably has the power to control anything allow innocent and good people to suffer in natural disasters?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• im not christian but even i know destruction, chaos and pain are necessary sometimes. in the larger picture of things
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Why?
    Anonymous

• I think of it as a warning sign to the ppl.Like Katrina over New Orleans,They were doing something bad,just like Ike hit me and the ppl in Galveston,It was a warning.B/c I remember Rita,It was suppose to hit right over the place I was living in,Beaumont.But at the last minute it turned.
    But thats just my thoughts it might not be right,but who cares,lol
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• When we fell, we brought on ourselves a curse. This curse also affects the Earth. That is why there are natural disasters.

"For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time." Romans 8:22

We used to live in Eden but our world now is fallen and all of creation is waiting for redemption, even the earth.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm sure they will have an answer. Seems they have an answer for everything. That is what makes us different. I don't think anyone has all the answers. I think there is still so much to learn.
    Anonymous

• because we are ALL sinners .. every single one of us .. and its in the last book of the Bible, read it .. =)
    it explains EVERYTHING ..
    xohcannizzo

Answer by xohcannizzo at 1:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I don't get that if God is supposed to be merciful then why does he let children suffer with horrible diseases. I don't think a child having cancer or another painful fatal disease is showing mercy AT ALL. I do not see God as merciful.

Anonymous

• Population control
    Anonymous

• There is no way anyone will ever convince me that a child is a sinner. And children die in natural disasters all the time. To me that is taking out the sins of a few on thousands.ok I get adults, or, people over the age of 10 sinners, but why should a 2 year old child who has never sinned in it's life have to die in a natural disaster. That is not right at all.
    Anonymous

• human race..erath...the entire world....it is impossible for anything to exist only the light side of things, you ahve to have balance. EVERYTHING needs balance in my opinion. and that means the dark side sometimes, the pain, the tears, the anger, the death, the chaos.

you have to have both ends of the spectrum.....
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2009