Red Bull/Coffee While nursing?

My son is 4 months and I start college in about a month and a half. I am going to be needing caffeine!!! So is there anyway to nurse in the morning before red bull and or coffee and then in the evening after it's worn off? Also, how long should I wait to nurse after drinking a red bull or a few cups of coffee? 4 hrs, 12 hrs, 5 days? lol Can I nurse some and still get my caffeine!? Please help... I just don't know who to ask or where to go. I don't want to hurt my baby, so I won't drink anything until I know! But right now, i'm faced with needing to give up college, or give up nursing. I would prefer to be able to nurse at least once a day or twice.

CollegeMommy009

Asked by CollegeMommy009 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nurse & pump your milk before having a caffeinated drink. i'm not sure how long caffeine stays in your system, but i remember my doc telling me that 2 cups of coffee a day is still safe. but i'm not so sure about red bull. have you googled it? lol
    Anonymous

• It is safe to have some coffee... not cup after cup, but some.. and you don't need to pump or wait for it to get out of your system. Like pp said, don't know much about Red Bull... With the coffee, just pay close attention to your baby to see if s/he is affected; some do react to it, some don't. (Again, I'm not advocation more than 2-3 a day). During pregnancy I switched to half-caff. (one cup in the morning) and then when my daughter was born I was having 2-3 cups of half-caff. (equivalent of 1-1 1/2 cups of regular) a day... knowing there was some caffeine in it, even though it wasn't the full amount, was enough to trick my body into an energy boost lol !

EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I drink Coca-Cola and Mountain Dew all day long. Caffeine is fine to have while BFing. However, if you are worried about it, I think kellymom.com has a timetable for this stuff.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:50 AM on Jul. 3, 2009