What would your reaction be if you saw this?

We were looking at Dvds at Target today and there was man and his son, who looked about 12, shopping for video games. From what I heard the son was trying to bully the dad into buying world of warcraft or something like that. The dad kept stelling him "no, mom doesn't want you to play that". The kid whined and whined, called his dad an A*&hole and brushed by him so hard, the dad tripped back and made some games fall off the wall.
I felt bad for the guy, who seemed to be trying to do something nice for his son, but that it backfired. The kid was a snot and I wanted to yell at him myself!
Ever witnessed a kids being a brat? What is your thoughts when you see this?

lilymama03

Asked by lilymama03 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I get angry when I see kids being brats to their parents, especailly at 12....UGHHHH that age just makes me cringe. I feel sorry for the parents who are probably embarassed and if I saw that kid acting like that to his dad, I would probably have to hold myself back from ringing his little neck. However at the same time, these parents shouldn't be allowing their kids to act like that and should be discipling better so its hard to feel COMPLETELY sorry for them. The dad should have grabbed the kid by the arm and pulled him outa the store...that woulda been a nice little embarassment for that little smart ass. But if his dad just let him behave like that and say those things, well then, I can't say I feel too bad for him.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• wow. i feel bad for the dad. he needs to be stronger and just say no and not get him ANYTHING at all. and ground the kid or something for acting like that. he called him an a-hole. wow. what a brat.
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• i THINK LITTLE BASARD AND I REALLY FEEL LIKE THAT OFTEN TO BE HONEST AND IT JUST SUCKS BECAUSE MY KID LOOKS LIKE THEY GONNABE LIKE THAT. IT PISSES ME OFF WHEN GETS ARE ASSES LIKE THAT.
    Anonymous

• I tend to ignore stuff like that these days from witnessing it at Wally World the 9 years I worked there, but it's the parents fault for allowing their children to control them. Parents must take the initiative to train their kids on how to be better people, but the parents are probably sooo messed up in their own little world that they can't see that their own child needs just as much help as they do. Sounds like a vicious cycle that seriously needs a hero =/
    Tanalore

Answer by Tanalore at 2:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I think it's a shame, but I wouldn't intervene. It's not my business to get involved with their parenting. Besides, what if the dad really is an a-hole? (Just kidding!)

I have told children that were standing and horsing around inside of a grocery cart that they had better sit down before they fall and crack their heads wide open all over the store floor! Both parents were right there and neither one of them thought enough of what these kids were doing to stop them. I told them that I work with kids with traumatic brain injuries and that their kids were really going to get hurt. The parents seemed to feel bad, but they weren't mad at me. They actually smiled and thanked me. I think they were just a little clueless, not poorly intentioned.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I have witnessed similar behavior in stores, and much worse. I ignore it and mind my own business because I do not know the whole story. There seem to be a lot more special needs children out and about in our society these days. That boy could have a disorder or disability of some kind that makes it very difficult for him to behave in a typical way for his age. Children with autism come in all forms and you have things like ADHD, emotional problems, bipolar, etc. When parents seem to be "allowing" this behavior, they are often just trying to minimize the outburst and live their lives with a special needs child. I try to smile at the parent and not judge the situation.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I feel bad for both the kid and his dad. However, I wouldn't do anything in those situations. Also, it could be that the parents are divorced and the dad was trying to spend time with his son, but he hasn't been in the kid's life very often. Kids get like that in those situations. Or the kid has ADHD or something else to make him act that way. I have ADHD and am very impatient and impulsive and b!tchy. It has taken a long time for me to learn how to control those emotions. A 12 yr old has enough going on that it's just too difficult for them to control those emotions if they have ADHD, etc. But I know that my kids have tried to act that way and that's when I walk back to the car and tell them that they get nothing until they've earned it. And they weren't earning it by acting that way.

Anonymous

• Yes, I feel badly but this is the child they created. Lets just say for arguments sake that that was my child. I would have beat the ever loving snot out of his ass right there in the store in front of GOD and everyone else. In fact, I regularly tell my kids that if they dont straighten up, that their punishment will be right out in the open for all to see and the embarassment will be far more than how they embarassed me with their behavior. I might tolerate a lot of things that I shouldnt but that level of disrespect is far past anything that is reasonable overlookable. A major "i cant sit down for a week" butt whooping is what my child would have received and they would have thought twice before even uttering a word to me again. Theres no disorder or diagnosis thats even an excuse for that level of behavior. Not even one.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• As far as responding to this scenario.....If I was close enough, I might have said....wow, thats very mouthy langauge for such a young child and then moved on. This father has to take the bull by the horns to stop it and if hes unwilling to do anything, then so am I.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Ive seen it and I roll my eyes and pray my sons turn out to be a bit less self-centered.

If I was the parent in that situation we'd be turning about and leaving w/o a game in hand.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2009