Is it necessary to wash EVERYTHING??

So it sucks because I live in an apt complex and I do NOT like to use the laundry machines here. We always take our clothes and things to my husband's parent's house (which is where we will be moving to when the baby comes) because they have great machines. So it's a pain in the butt having to wash all of the baby's things as I pick them up...So is it really necessary to wash boppy covers before using them? How about the car seat material? I figure since these aren't things that are going to be on baby's skin all day like clothing would, maybe it's not such a big deal?

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i washed everything but the carseat cover and slings. the boppy cover he touched all the time, plus it got dirty all the time from the spit up and dirty diapers. just do one load of baby's clothes every time you go to wash y'alls clothes. that way it's not so much. just do the stuff that will be needed at the beginning. no need to wash anything that won't be used for a couple of months. but, this is just my opinion
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 2:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I didnt even wash anything. lol just the blankets.
    Anonymous

• My children were sensitive to whatever is on new stuff, so I had to wash everything new, fabrics that is, that they touched. Besides, the clothing and blankies, etc, this stuff hasn't been lovingly made on a clean table and packaged, you don't know what conditions it has been in- the floor, bins, critters roaming over them- in the factory, so I liked to make sure they were clean.

Answer by Bmat at 2:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I only prewash the onsies and newborn sleepers. I would say to just use your best judgement. Mommy instincts are usually pretty good.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm waiting to wash everything until the first week of August. I'm due August 27th. That way I can do everything all at once and not as I shop or as people buy stuff.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I never washed the carseat cover, I didn't know you were supposed to do that! I was very anal about washing linens and clothes, but she's now 4 mos. and I have put new clothes on her without washing 'em first. My DH hates when I do it, but nothing bad has happened to her. She does not have sensitive skin at all, I never had to use the special baby detergent on her.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It is necessary. If it were a matter of stuff not being perfectly clean then no, but there are things in NEW clothes that are bad for an infants skin and can cause rashes, even with little contact. Not all babies though, but why not wash it just to be safe? It's not that huge a hassle to make sure your baby isn't uncomfortable in his or her first weeks.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 5:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I wash everything, whether it's new or second hand. Plus when I do I use all natural detergent and fabric softener. Think of it with new things....it was made in a factory with chemicals, those chemicals are now on or in the product, workers picking up the items on the belts or assembling them may not have washed hands properly, may work in poor conditions (mold, bacteria and such)....I always say, better safe than sorry.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm a "wash it all" kind of mom. If it comes off it gets washed.
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 6:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2009