Do you send out thank you notes? Do you make your children send thank you notes? Do you get offended if you don't receive a thank you note from someone?

Growing up, I was made to send out thank you notes for birthdays, christmas gifts, etc. I hated it because I never really knew how to write a thank you note that actually sounded good. My mom never really helped, she just told me to write something. When it came time for graduation, bridal shower, and baby shower thank you notes, I'll be honest, I sucked at it. I tried my best and I did get a few out but not all. Now that I am a little older, I am better at sending thank you notes right away. My son is still to young to do thank you notes other than write his name, but I send them out for him. When he is older, I will teach him how to write thank you notes and make sure he sends them out as soon as possible. So, my question is do you write thank you notes? Do you or will you make your children write thank you notes, and are you offended if you don't receive a thank you note

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 2:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh, forgot to add, it's nice if I receive a thank you note, but I don't then that is fine too.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yes, indeed. It is just good manners. I especially hate if I have something shipped or mailed and have to call to find out if it arrived. And besides, if I have gone to the trouble to get something, I like to think it was appreciated, and I can't know this without a thank you.

Answer by Bmat at 2:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yes, Yes, Yes!
    Anonymous

• I send out Thank you notes for graduation, baby showers, and that kind of thing but not for birthday parties and christmas gifts. But I do call if grandma and grandpa send gifts to me or the children to let them know it has arrived, I do say thank you and the kids do to but not in a note.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I was never taught to write thank you notes. And I always got disappointed when I got them as a kid for the fact I was so excited I was getting a Thank You note instead of some other exciting mail. I still don't care if I get any or not. The only reason why I write thank you notes now is because my MIL nags until she gets one. Its ridiculous. I figure you tell the person thank you at the party. I don't know.. I'm different from others. I know its the "polite" thing to do, but if you say thank you then you say thank you. How many thank yous do you need?
    Anonymous

• I send thank you notes for all gifts or when someone does something nice for me or my kids. Birthdays, Showers, Communions, Baptisms, etc. I will usually write them out for my kids and let them sign them. I've had them write them to their friends parents for taking them for ice cream, to their teachers, to their religion teachers. I do feel bad when I don't get one for a gift I gave someone. I think it's rude not to acknowledge the gift.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I used to send out thank you cards..but lately i find i havent the time! But I do however acknowledge the gift personally! :)
    roxxxy

Answer by roxxxy at 2:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I am a big Thank You note/card sender. I started when I was probably in middle school or high school. I don't always send them to my parents or my in-laws for Christmas or birthday gifts, but I do for pretty much everyone else. And I do send them to my parents and in-laws for other things. Like baby shower gifts, really expensive gifts or more money than normal. Once my daughter is born, I will send out thank-you's for her until she is old enough. I usually don't mind if people don't send me a thank-you, but I do get annoyed if I give a shower gift or something like that and don't get a thank-you.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• i have to send them. i feel bad if i don't. my mom was like that with me growing up. but it made me show appreciation and in return people appreciate that. :) it's such a nice gesture, it doesn't matter if its short or not perfect - its the thought that counts. :)
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I send thank you notes, but do not get offended if I don't receive one. It's not that big of a deal.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2009