he wont stop stealing

I have an 8 year old yorkie, and also a 7 month old little boy. The yorkie will not stop taking the babies things. He has always stole things, such as remotes, socks, and anything we leave in his reach. Now he takes pacifiers and toys. He will not give them back either, he runs with them, when I catch him he holds on so tight I can't get it out of his mouth. Sometimes he takes the things outside (we have a dog door) and they get all muddy. What can I do to stop this behavior? I have tried locking him a dark area, but he just tears up whatever it is he has.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 2:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Obedience school, or behavior training if you can afford it. Could it be that he is doing this for the attention? Would it work to ignore him? Maybe to casually get a treat that you don't give to him until he brings you the item?- but then that might encourage him, but at least you'd have the item. Don't let him think he is "top dog" he has to understand that you are the head of his pack.

Answer by Bmat at 2:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I don't know but Yorkies are evil!! My mom has one and I never, in my life, met a breed of dog that was so damn ornery.
    Anonymous

• First of all, he probably just wants to play, and he needs to understand that he cannot play with these items. Don't chase him. That just reinforces the attention he is looking for. Don't try to pry it from his mouth. Instead, ignore him with the item he "stole". Does he have a favorite toy? Take that instead and lay YOUR ownership to it. Start playing with it, throwing it in the air (if its a ball),etc. The dog will most likely drop the item and go after what you have. Once he drops the item and goes after the favorite toy, play with him a little bit, and give him positive reward. This will encourage him to play with his own toys and he will eventually show no interest in the things that he shouldn't be playing with because you won't play with him! It may take a while, but don't give up. I used to breed terriers, and they can be stubborn, but they are smart and highly trainable! Good luck!
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 3:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Teach him the "drop it" command. Get one of his toys and let him take it. Have a super yummy treat and say drop it, when he drops the toy give him the treat. Do this several times a day.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• the training suggestions sound good, maybe also, Put your stuff out of his reach?
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 3:43 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I use leave it commands.. sounds like he's jealous of the baby...

My schnauzer puppy chewed my shoes, pretties.. and my books... I was the only one in my family working at the time and he did it to punish me. My books irritated him b/c if I was reading.. I wasn't giving him the attention he wanted.

Dogs are obvious, they will give you all the signs of what is wrong. Read them and work out the problem with them. Sometimes you just need to make sure they know you are alpha, once established, they look to you for everything instead of trying to take care of everything on their own.
    LuvItGlows

Answer by LuvItGlows at 6:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2009