Christians, how can anyone take your religion seriously when no one can agree on the the basics?

I asked a question earlier about what happens when you die (if you right to heaven or hell right away) and got MANY conflicting answers, but the funny thing was that they were quoting the SAME versus to prove that their answers were right!

How can anyone take your religion seriously when no one can agree on the basics of your beliefs? Why are there so many branches of Christianity- Because people can't seem to agree on what your book says or what your god wants, that's why! You'd think if your bible was so cut and dry and god was speaking to you from it, it would be easy to understand and not contain a bunch of mysterious double talk and confusion.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 2:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just want to say that ihartu doesn't come across trying to debunk Christianity at all. She has serious questions. I think that just because she challenges us doesn't mean that she is intentionally trying to ruin our faith!!! Don't get mad because her questions are hard! LOL

As far as the question you are referring to, most mainline Christians agree on death and the afterlife. There were a few people who answered from a Jehovah's Witness (anihilationsism) point of view. And yes, that is very different. But most Christians believe that when you die your spirit lives on.

And I personally believe that the Bible is always true, it is us who make the mistakes when we read it. That is why we need to make sure and study it for ourselves and see what it really says, without some organization (any one) telling is what it means.

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• UHM i THINK there might be more than one denomination of Christianity????

but here is a thought, don't take it seriously! Nobody tried to convert you, you asked a question and you got diverse answers and now you used honest answers from moms to comment on how their religion can't be taken seriously. Then don't believe but please quit trying to convert me to your non beliefs.
    Anonymous

• You don't have to take my religion seriously if you don't want to. Christ doesn't shove Himself down your throat. We as Christians do what we can to help get the msg out.

I don't think (and I doubt most other Christians would agree) that our bible is "double talk"
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• How can anyone take your religion seriously when no one can agree on the basics of your beliefs? This isn't a basic belief, in fact it isn't even talked about too much. The basic belief is Jesus Christ after that you start breaking into different denominations and the actual religion, like Lutheran, Methodist, Catholicism... I would bet the actual religion has a the same belief. Quit stereotyping all Christians in one lump. Geez

Why are there so many branches of Christianity Ever heard of the protestant reformation? BTW--there are different branches of Wicca, Judaism, Muslim ect quit picking on the Christians.

Anonymous

• How can anyone take your religion seriously when no one can agree on the basics of your beliefs?

Why should everyone have to agree? That is why there are different denominations, because people in different circumstances see things differently.

Why are there so many branches of Christianity- Because people can't seem to agree on what your book says or what your god wants, that's why!

You can rarely get 100 people to agree entirely on one thing, even trivial things, so of course hundreds of thousands of people are going to understand the same writing in many different ways.

You'd think if your bible was so cut and dry and god was speaking to you from it, it would be easy to understand and not contain a bunch of mysterious double talk and confusion.

Mythology is never straightforward & simple because spiritual matters are not mundane.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• The fact that different people understand Christianity differently does not, in itself, make it invalid. It makes humans fallible. I don't think any religion or philosophical system can convey things perfectly, in a way that everyone can understand.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• wow nysa!!! very well said my friend
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I am curious why you spend so much time trying to debunk Christianity? I've seen your screenname attached to sarcastic comments in other people's posts about Christianity. Personally, I don't go into posts about atheism or paganism and try to debunk them. Why do you do it in the Christian posts? Perhaps you are unaware, but you come off as disrespectful and mean-spirited. If you dislike it so much, why don't you just ignore it? Honestly, I'm curious.
    Anonymous

• The Basic belief of Christianity is to believe in Christ. Other things are up for discussion and interpetation Just like they are with every other religion. Just like everything in life is actually.

I believe that faith of any kind is a personal thing, so every different person will have different beliefs on specific issues. Like the one about God and Heaven. I believe that we go to Heaven right away, but others don't. I believe that abortion isn't always a sin. I have encountered a LOT of resistance by other Christians on that one. I believe that God doesn't hate homosexuals. Again, I've encountered a lot of resistance.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I am curious why you spend so much time trying to debunk Christianity?

I have talked to her before, and personally came to the conclusion she is trying to convince herself there is no God. Ihartu is actually very nice when not talking about religion, when talking about religion she is on a mission to prove everyone wrong.

Anonymous