Does your teen lay around all day?

My DS 15 is lazy. He lays around all day, reads, watches TV... He does do his chores but I dont know how to get him off his A.. HELP

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 2:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• my 17 year old bro lives with me and thats all he does too. If you find a way to get 'em up and let me know cuz I can't seem to get him to do anything. Getting him to do his chores is a chore for me in its self most days! I am going crazy! I have a 6 month old son of my own too.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• let me know too!! I have been limiting Tv and internet!! It helps to be firm.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 3:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• When I was growing up, I had no phone, no books, no t.v. until all chores were done. Can they walk a dog? They need a little exercise as well. Remember these will be husbands in the future. They can learn to cook, clean and do a few things they may need for survival. Get their dads involved. No one should b e allowed to sit around like a slug unless they are not able to help out. A seventeen year old could get a part time job. One of my grandsons got three jobs this summer. He does two lawns, works in a market and does some car detailing on the side. I have another grandson that sits like a slug and says he is bored. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 3:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Have him contact the Red Cross and find a babysitting class. My 13 year is a RC certifiied babysitter and charges $7 an hour. It turns out that parents prefer a mature teen who knows CPR and first aid to a flighty college student. Or see if the Youth Volunteer Core is active in your area “Since 1987 YVC has been engaging 11-18 year olds in structured, supervised service learning projects in and out of school.”
    www.ycva.org.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• What's wrong with reading all day? When I was a teen, I spent my days reading, writing, and walking the dog. Not everybody likes to be shuttled from activity to activity.

You say he is doing his chores, so no problems there.

Unplug the TV during the day so he doesn't have that option.

Does he have a bike? Can he bike places (friends' houses, etc.)

Is there a lake nearby he can go to with friends?

Sounds to me like he's just being a teenager.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 7:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• IS he getting enough sleep? If he is then try to do things with him. Pick out a day during the week where he can be with just you--for lunch or whatever. He may be feeling the need for some some attention as well as you are busy with the baby. After that, there are interests groups he can join to keep busy, does he like sports or music? Especially in the summer, he can get a job in a camp, or somewhere he likes. If he likes to read have him help out in a bookstore or the town library. If he refuses, then look at it this way: he isn't out making or causing trouble. Maybe he is just like this by nature, and will learn to deal with it as he gets older (the hard way). At least he does his chores!
    Amy1022

Answer by Amy1022 at 8:41 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yes she does, but I dont care. This is her time to do what she wants. She stays up later than me and she sleeps until about 10ish and thats fine with me. During the day shes been helping me with miscellaneous things because we just moved and theres still lots to do and then sometimes she babysits her brothers while I run errands. When school starts, shes off again, going 90 mph with school, sports and social activities, so right now, its fine for her to be lazy.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:15 AM on Jul. 3, 2009