Spinoff professions post: People joining the military to pay for college...

Is this bad? Degrading? Do you think the armed forces is taking advantage of people by helping with their education? I noticed on another post about professions that a few people have some ideas on this that I hadn't really heard before. Wondering what you think...

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 3:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If you don't want to take the change of answering the call to defend your country then you should know better than to join the military.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• If it's one of several reasons in the Pro column, there's nothing wrong about it. If it's the ONLY reason, they should maybe work a little harder on the scholarship essays and stay home where they belong.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Not at all. My dh joined for the 20gs and the collage. You know what you are doing and they drill it into their heads before the sign. You do not get forced in....you swear in.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 3:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• "Answering anon to avoid stalkers. I would not let my children join the army, navy, marines, etc... I think its wrong. I would want them to go to college and get a job. Not go to war so they can get their education paid for. Too many people are dying. The government sucks- "If they aren't smart enough to go to school on their own then lets give them drugs and guns and see how they do" That makes no sense to me.."

This was one of the answers there that surprised me... I know my husband comes in contact with people daily who need help paying for school and look at the military as a way to do that. But obviously they aren't doing it ONLY to pay for school. That would be like going to school ONLY to go to prom. Hello?

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I think it's good that our country offers incentives for our Soldiers. Because believe me, none of us joined for the pay. The benefits, stability and room for promotion are all worth it to me. But some people don't look at the military as a good career choice, in the economy we have today, it's one of the BEST ones I can think of.
    RavnJay

Answer by RavnJay at 3:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I think what makes us great is we have choices in our lives here.. we do not have a mandatory draft. I think the military is one of the most noble career fields there is... period!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Oh and BTW- we are not military and I doubt my kids will be either, but I do have the utmost respect for them. My husband travels quite a bit on business and offers to buy lunch for people in uniform on a regular basis.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I get that having an education is a valuable thing. But honestly experiences can be worth just as much these days. My husband has been all over the world. He has experienced cultures and sights that most people don't. And his experiences in the military have made him a very well rounded guy who can use his knowledge in great ways. You can read all the books in the world but not having the experience on how to use the information doesn't really help you.

I don't think it's wrong to offer to pay for college. Many large companies do this also. The only difference is that in one, you are serving your country. In the other you are more likely serving yourself. There are very few bad choices when it comes to college imo. If a person decides to go, how they get there can be just as rewarding as the education they do receive.
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My brother joined the Navy to help pay for college and he was a little lost. He ended up going through the nuclear program and served on a sub. He now has two Master degrees the Navy helped pay for. I
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 3:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I think its a great incentive. The military is a good place for young people to get educated and learn some discipline. Lack of discipline is usually the reason they didnt get into college or finish highschool anyway. Most people that join the military come out a better person. My brother finishe college and started a career in business and felt unfulfilled, so he joined the military in his late twenties. He had commanding officers that were younger than him. Anyway, while he was there, he learned about communications and they helped pay for him to finish his education. He already had a bachelors degree and the military paid for his masters that he has been working on online for some time. He is also six sigma black belt. Thats a business thing as well and is quite an achievement from what I understand. So the military didnt give him the motivation, but it did give him the opportunity. Those are the best kind of people to join
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2009