anyone quit smoking recently?

i am trying to quit smoking but i am afraid i won't have enough will power and i don't want to eat the frig..

Asked by chicknlitlle69 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Health

• I'm working on it :)

Answer by momofallboys at 12:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My husband quit smoking about a month ago. He does get the munchies more often, but he also works out, so he's not getting fat. You need some incentive... like DH bought a new motorcycle, and to be able to afford it, he had to give up cigarettes. He LOVES his bike & rides it all the time. Maybe you could treat yourself to something nice w/ the money you save from quitting.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:42 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I quit smoking two and a half years ago. It's hard but it's worth it. The physical addiction is over fairly quickly. It's the psychological addiction that's hard. Think about this way...if you average a pack of cigarettes to $5 and you smoke a pack a day, then it's roughly $150 a month. That's for one person. Think of all the money you would save. Just remember, once you quit, it's so not worth the occasional smoke. One cigarette is never ONE cigarette. It always ends up to be more. So it's not worth even that one smoke. Don't give up. I always told myself, I didn't want to be "that kind of mother". It has been incentive enough. Don't be ashamed to use patches or something. Patches were the one thing that helped me quit for good, not just for a few weeks. Try cinnamon gum, it helps curb the cravings. Good luck!! You can always message me for support!!

Answer by noellesmama at 2:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• i did quite for a while but i did start eatin all the time and that drove me mad so for now im back on them, will try again when i dont want to eat all the time lol i may have a little wait

Answer by sammy04k at 11:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• i am 19 days today ,,,,,,,,longest i ever went ,,i exercise everyday and take proazc to help the stress. I am fine ,,i feel great,,,,,and health ,,,,i also take flaxeed oil pills,,,my dr said that would help the anxiety.....We just lost 2 people in their 40 's due to lung cancer so i had to stop!!!

Answer by cameron536 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• April of this year marked one year for me. I smoked for almost 22years...

Answer by christene at 1:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My hubby is trying to quit b/c cigs are so expensive. My incentive is if he quits (he smokes a pack a day at age 21) that $5 (which is more than he spends on cigs on base) a day will be saved to use for the cars. He really wants to do a lot of things especially with his Datsun 280ZX. I think the big thing is to find out WHY you smoke. With my husband, he smokes after coffee or meals, when he's on the phone (he's esp a social smoker) and when he gets really stressed. He definitely has an oral fixation though. He said if he chews gum, he can hold off longer b/c he has something in his mouth. :)

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 7:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Here's some other tips. Change certain habits or associations. If you smoke in the car, put some cinnamon gum in your car and clean out your car really well. Febreeze the crap out of it. You don't want it smelling like smoke. If you smoke after you eat, chew gum after or brush your teeth immediately and rinse with mouth wash. It makes it harder to smoke if you've just brushed your teeth or chew something with a strong taste. Plus it will give you a new routine to replace your smoking with. If your SO smokes, tell him if he's not going to quit then he needs to do it completely away from you. Like make him smoke at the end of the drive way with the doors closed, or make him walk through the neighborhood while he smokes, so you don't have to smell it or see it. Don't let him smoke in the car anymore. Hopefully doing all this will make him want to quit too. If you smoke after coffee, brush your teeth after. Keep yourself busy and distracted.

Answer by noellesmama at 10:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• At First, i was a grumpy *itch but I cleaned my house well, threw out old cigarettes and ashtrays and lighters/ matches, ...even threw out the secret stash! I also moved around patio furniture so i wasnt the same old familiar place to sit and smoke, I added plants and made it a pretty area, not the smoking section anymore!
    About a week later and lots of water and apologising to my husband for my grumpyness from the week prior, I started to feel more energy and not so dependant on cigarettes! When i smelled a lit cigarette it would smell yucky instead of wanting one and i would stay away from it to not crave and to not stink! (as a smoker I never had that mentaility!)
    But I am so much more energetic, I feel healthy, my skin doesn't smell like cigs, car smells clean again, my hair too, There is a difference in tasting food, my voice is softer compared to dry or rough, i dont wake up coughing up a lung or phlem in my throat constantly and I save money!

Answer by Miss_shotcaller at 11:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2008