Breakfast with my 2-year old is a NIGHTMARE!!!!

EVERY morning my 2-year old boy always asks for something he can't have for breakfast (ie. fruit snacks or ice cream...which I have NEVER let him have). And EVERY morning when I tell him "NO" he screams and hollars and throws a FIT for like 10-15 minutes then asks for "fruit snacks" AGAIN and the process continues for almost an hour.

So, I thought I would be smart and make a "menu" for him with pictures of all the things he CAN have for breakfast...great right?! NOPE! Now he asks for yogurt, by the time I open it, get the spoon he wants, put his bib on...now he doesn't want yogurt, he wants something else and starts throwing a fit again!

Oh, and I also have to either get up before him and eat breakfast or wait until he's done eating breakfast or he won't eat either. He'll be just fine eating his own breakfast (once he finally picks one) and then if I get something out he won't eat his anymore and insists on MINE! HELP ME

EBeauty03

Asked by EBeauty03 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Boy this sounds just like my son! Mine wakes up with NO appetite. After an hour or two after he wakes up, he wants to eat something crazy like an ice cream sandwich or a hot dog. He has an egg allergy, so he doesn't get to have much in the way of breakfast foods anyway (no waffles, french toast, etc). Oh AND he doesn't eat meat. It's tough! So we use reverse psychology. We bought those cereal bars with oatmeal and fruit, or granola, and call them "cookie bars". In his mind, he is getting a "cookie", when he is actually getting a cereal bar with lots of vitamins and fiber. This seems to be our happy medium. Maybe you can try something like that? Calling them fun names to mask what they really are? lol
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 3:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• my son does the same thing, he want's this or he want's that, when he finally picks one and you get it for him he changes his mind, and I used to go with it, until I got fed up and said you choose what I give you and if I give it to you and you change your mind you are not getting anything else you will eat what I give you and if you don't want it then go play and come back when you are ready to eat it cuz I'm not playing your game. And that seems to work out great for me he don't like it very much some days but he learned that what I said goes and that by screaming a crying it won't change my mind, but you have to stick to it.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It's really not about what he wants to eat, it's about control and power. He is learning he can control some things, he's testing his power. Maybe try just giving him the same thing your eating with no choices. Or give him a choice between two things and make him stick with his choice. But remember this is just a phase, it'll pass....and it's all part of learning, 2 year olds are learning alot about independence.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• my son does this too. i just tell him NO and of course he throws a fit. so i put him in his high chair, turn on some cartoons and put a couple toys in front of him and he's happy. works every time!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 5:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm pretty lucky with my daughter I guess. She's happy to eat most of the time. When she does get like this, I don't give in. She gets x or nothing. Usually she's fighting because she wants juice and not milk with dinner. I give her milk and tell her she can have juice AFTER she finishes her milk. She'll fight, throw her cup, calm down, then I give her the cup back and she drinks up. Sometime's she'll go to her next snack before she gets another chance to eat. It works and she'll eat well when she's hungry. most of the time I don't give her an option for meals. SHe gets what she gets. If she doesn't want it, I'll put it in the fridge for later. Sometimes I can tell she just doesn't like it and I'll over something else, but if she' just being stubborn, then I wont' give in.
    Anonymous

• Make breakfast. Don't give him any options expect what jelly or syrup to put on his pancakes (if that's what you are having). If he eats it, fine. If he doens't, fine. You provide good food and set times. He decides what of that he will eat, how much of it he'll eat, or even IF he will eat. Eat yours with him and ignore his protests. No, yours won't be a pleasant meal but he will see you eating the food.
    Now is also the time to start teaching good table manners. Start wtih teaching him that screaming and throwing a fit because he doesn't like the choices is not acceptable behavior. He may say "No thank you" and not eat whatever it is but he may not throw a fit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2009