Breakfast with my 2-year old is a NIGHTMARE!!!!

EVERY morning my 2-year old boy always asks for something he can't have for breakfast (ie. fruit snacks or ice cream...which I have NEVER let him have). And EVERY morning when I tell him "NO" he screams and hollars and throws a FIT for like 10-15 minutes then asks for "fruit snacks" AGAIN and the process continues for almost an hour.

So, I thought I would be smart and make a "menu" for him with pictures of all the things he CAN have for breakfast...great right?! NOPE! Now he asks for yogurt, by the time I open it, get the spoon he wants, put his bib on...now he doesn't want yogurt, he wants something else and starts throwing a fit again!

Oh, and I also have to either get up before him and eat breakfast or wait until he's done eating breakfast or he won't eat either. He'll be just fine eating his own breakfast (once he finally picks one) and then if I get something out he won't eat his anymore and insists on MINE! HELP ME

EBeauty03

Asked by EBeauty03 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I have an almost 2 year old and a couple older that went through this too. I would quit giving him options. My older boys get to pick what they want for breakfast, and then my younger boy gets what I put on his plate. If he doesn't eat then he doesn't eat. If they are hungry enough they'll eat. Good luck.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Sounds like my son! lol He just turned 2, and every meal is difficult, but breakfast is the worst. I agree with Hannah though, when he is hungry enough he will eat. Even when I give him exactly what he asked for, he tries to push it away, and he throws a fit. I just put it on the table and tell him that if he doesn't want it, then don't eat it. I don't give him any other option though, and after a minute he usually eats a little bit of it. He isn't really eating a whole lot right now anyway. I think it's just a control thing, and I really hope this phase ends soon.
    lalabear88

Answer by lalabear88 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Mine's doing that too with barely eating. I sometimes wonder how he's surviving. Some meals he'll eat every bite others he doesn't even take one bite.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Just remember that while two is bad, three is worse
    If he wants your breakfast, then fix yourself what you want him to eat and let him eat that. Make breakfast ice cream: blend frozen banana chunks, frozen blueberries, kale (loaded with calcium and iron), a splash of orange juice (vitamin C to increase the absorption of iron) and yogurt (this is a breakfast smoothie at our house, but you can make it thick and serve with a spoon).

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Make it fun by letting him help you make " fruit snack man",,, Get a plate and make a face out of different kinds of fruit. use oatmeal for hair and wa la tell him dont eat that man he just made..I bet in 2 seconds flat, he'll take a bite of his man, just to make you laugh!
    karenwarshaw

Answer by karenwarshaw at 5:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2009