My 17 year old bro lives with me....

My 17 year old bro lives with me and has for a year now. I can't seem to get him to do much. I am sure its prob just a teen thing but not taking a shower for 3 days unless told he stinks?? Or never doing his laundry?? I don't do his laundry b/c he needs to learn some kind of responsibility and I already have enough laundry to do myself between myself, my husband and a 6 month old. Does your teen do this?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My 15 is lazy as well but does his chores because he knows if h e does not he gets things taken away. Like cell, tv, internet. I wish I could get him up off his A.. and do something. I hope its just a phase.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 3:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• We have 3 lazy teens my husband and i just too kin. ( His siblings) My son is 4 , were pretty young ourselves. So what i do, is whatever isnt washed, i throw it away. I give them a deadline, if they dont do it, i get the big trash bags. ..it hlps ..if i just walk around the house with it, theyll know. They 15 and under though..
    ..has your husband tried askign him to do something? Your house, your rules..basic hygene could be part of your rules.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I say, just once, ask him, in front of his friends if he showed that day. Don't mention his hygeine in general, just focus on the day. I assume the embarrassment will make him want to avoid the situation again. I don't think you need to do it in a mean way just kind of: "Your hair getting pretty greasy. Did you miss your turn in the bathroom this morning?" Through highschool, I found peer pressure to be a strong motivation to be a more responsible person.
    AndyK.82

Answer by AndyK.82 at 6:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2009