Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone ever had to take medication or had a child who had to take medication that caused your skin to be sensitive to the sun?

My daughter is taking Doryx (doxycycline) for her complexion and like most acne meds, it causes your skin to be sensitive to the sun and you can burn very easily. It doesnt say you cant swim but does advise that you be covered in sunscreen. She did do the sunscreen, but even at that her face is burnt, her hands and feet are burnt and shes miserable. She cant even get in the sun just to walk from the house to the store and just live normally. Shes now not wanting to take her medication and its not necessary for her to live or anything, but its what the dermatologist gave her. Shes refusing to take it and wants to try proactiv. Anyone ever ditched the acne meds for proactiv? or taken meds that did this? Im at a loss on how to help her overcome this obstacle because her skin is so sensitive, but she doesnt like the breakouts either. Its like a catch22. Help~

Answer Question
 
momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 3:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Health

Level 4 (56 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Doxycycline is the same as Tetracycline and it does interact with the sun and skin. When my son was on it multiple times for skin rashes we were told to keep him out of the sun. Very hard to do with a kid isn't it. Have you talked to pharmacists? When I have questions about a switch of meds I always talk to them before calling my doctor. Sometimes they're more knowledgeable than drs are. and some times it causes problems with teeth too. There's a mouthwash by script that my daughter was supposed to be on but it had tetra and I took her off it of and got the gum patches instead.

    I'd talk to your pharmacists and then dr. And there are great rx drugs books for public reading too that pharmacies sell. Good luck!!!!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

  • Here is how my teen handles her acne: wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer (she uses Lush). Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked.
    rkoloms

    Answer by rkoloms at 4:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

  • Thanks both of you. Yes I did speak with the pharmacist when he swapped her to the generic med and he said that its likely shes more sensitive than the average person. I love the home remedy. I will give this a try. I think she will like the honey mask too. Anything to keep her from being on the meds. Shes just one of those kinds of people that gets emotionally stirred up easily and her face breaks out because of it. Thanks ladies.
    momofsaee

    Answer by momofsaee at 9:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • I have Lupus and it makes me 'allergic' to the sun. I'm also on steroids for my Lupus inflammation and THAT makes me sensitive to the sun...LOL! I use lots of sunscreen and stay inside as much as possible. It's hard because I used to enjoy outside sports and yard work and stuff...but it's what I have to do to stay healthy. I have also struggled with acne my whole life. I'm 33 and my skin is just now clearing up. The only thing I can tell her is keep trying different meds/cleansers. I like Neutrogena Advanced Solutions. I get it at Wal-Mart and it's a 3 piece kit. It works really well for me. Good luck.
    mizkaye

    Answer by mizkaye at 10:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN