what is your family doing for the 4th of july??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We usually hold the big BBQ every year. But this year we don't feel like it. We have been invited to three parties and I don't really want to go to any of them. UGH...what to do...what to do?
    I will say that it is my LO's birthday, so we will be having cake no matter what.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• We're having a bbq at a friend's house. Swimming for the kids, nice adult conversations for us, and fireworks when it gets dark!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 3:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Ditching the kids at inlaws and going to Atlantic City for dinner and fireworks.. I find the 4th of July to be the most romantic b/c of the fireworks....
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 10:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• BBQ at a friends house with 'real' fireworks and all. Had to cross sate lines to get 'em. We are rebels what can I say. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Once the kids were about 9, we started including stories about the Declaration of Independence - focussing on the dedication and earnestness of the men who faced the dire problem of tyranny and created a solution which we still benefit from today.

At about 11, we included movies like the wonderful "1776", and others I don't remember now - again, not adult movies which focus on the war scenes. And we spent the 8 minutes it takes to read the Declaration of Independence, with the 10 minutes it takes to talk about what different passages mean. ... After seeing "1776", the kids were very interested to get a look at this Declaration of Independence for themselves !

Then when they were in 8th grade, we added reading the Preamble to our US Constitution and talking a little about what is in it - just as talk around the dinner table during the 4th of July weekend.

It made the holiday much more special for the kids !

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2009