Did Michael Jackson practice an actual religion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I always heard that he was a Jehovah's Witness as well. But, it seems that at one time, I heard that he had converted to a different belief system. I can't remember what it was though. I just pray that he is happy and finally at peace in Heaven now.
    You know, he did always thank God whenever he was recognized for his talent or won any type of award, so that's encouraging.... I would imagine that he isn't having a church funeral, because wherever it's at, it's going to be HUGE....let's face it, he was an awesome entertainer, and a wonderful humanitarian. I don't know how other's feel, but I loved Michael Jackson... and i always will.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• An actual religion? As opposed to an imaginary one? I wasn't personally aquainted with him so I couldn't say what his religious practices or spiritual beliefs were.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• no actual as in went to a church, synagogue or something as opposed to saying I believe in God and then never going to church? I am curious as to why his funeral is in the staples center and not a church.
    Anonymous

• He was raised as a Jehovah's Witness, however he had left the faith about the time of Thriller. I do not know if he was an active member of any church but I do know he continued to be Christian. He continued to hold to many of the teachings of the witnesses but wasn't actively affiliated with them at the time of his death. His mother however continues to be a proud and active JW.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I would assume because it is bigger. Even if he was not a member of a church (again no idea), some member of his family or friends probaby were & could have the service there if they wished (most churches are fine with that) but I doubt any of them would be large enough to hold all the people who wish to be there.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• he was big on doing things with his religious gurru that was from india...but i forget the guys name.

so no he was not christian or anything of that like.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• He was raised JW... in 2008 converted to Islam... and just before his death there may be some indication that he accepted Christ. We won't know till we die.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Holy cow, Michael Jackson was a Hindu-Muslim former Jehovah's witness? I thought he was a Kabbalist in his adult life.

Anonymous

• I don't really think it matters what he was... He was a great man! He brought happyness to millions upon millions not to mention food to millions with his charities... I don't think there is a religious building anywhere that could hold all the love and loss that is being felt by those that loved him. That's why the funeral has to be held somewhere more public...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I had always heard that he accepted Islam when his sister (I think) got him into it....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2009