My cat has been drinking bleach water!

My one year old cat has been throwing up for 4 days now. I just cleaned up a bit of it and couldnt help but notice it smelled like BLEACH! I think my cat may be drinking the bleach water out of the toilets! She must be doing this everyday, seeing as how she has not drank her normal water or ate any food. Do you guys know of anything I can do for her at home to help her feel better? She wont eat ANYTHING! Keeping the toilet lids shut is a given now...and if shes not better soon I will take her to a vet. Just wondering what you guys think I can give her at home. Milk? Yogurt? Butter? I just dont know..

mommy2Joel

Asked by mommy2Joel at 3:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Pets

• i would just give her time and watch for blood in her vomit and tary stool if this show up then she has some internal bleeding somewheres and she need to be looked at but ur vet is right as long as its a diluted consintration she should be fine i wouldnt be giving her benydril b/c its not a allergic reaction she vomiting b/c the bleach is upsetting her stomach i would give her some grass to chew on animals chew grass to calm thier tummies
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Take her to the vet NOW. And put down the lids on the toilets.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• you shouldn't have waited so long....

How is your kitty today?
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I would call the vet anyways. Depending on how much of the bleach water she has drank can be life threatening. She is probably severly dehydrated as well. I think your best bet is to call the vet and see if he/she wants you to bring her in or not or if he has any professional suggestions as to what you should do.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Take her to the vet now!!!
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• She has been acting fine...playing, and sleeping, grooming herself...looking out the windows. Shes just been throwing up here and there, and not wanting to eat because of her tummy ache. If she seemed REALLY ill I would have taken her to the vet already. I'm just not going to spend $200 for them to say, yes..she needs to stay out of the toilets and needs to eat something.

I called the vet and they said a bit of bleach(like in a swimming pool) wont really hurt the cat. Its not pure bleach by any means...its VERY watered down. But since shes been doing it for days..I was just wondering what I could give her to make her tummy feel better. I'm pretty sure other then a bit of an upset stomach shes fine.

So I guess my question should have been...what can you give a cat with an upset stomach?

mommy2Joel

Answer by mommy2Joel at 4:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• clorine is in your city water supply
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yes Pagirl71 it is....however I use the bleach tablets in the back of my toilets...so there is extra in my toilet water to keep it clean and fresh.

My cat has always liked the smell of bleach for some odd reason. When I clean with comet I have to lock her in a room so she wont come lick it out of the sinks and tubs as it sits and soaks in. My cat is just crazy.

I rubbed some butter on her paws, knowing she would have to lick it off. I hope that will help her tummy...or at least keep her blood sugar levels ok since she hasnt really wanted to eat.
    But again, she seems "ok" other then the throwing up she has done each day for the last few days.

hubby and I talked about it and if shes STILL not eating by Saturday we will take her to the vet. The only reason I want to wait a bit longer is because now that we know why she is sick...we can keep her away from it. Maybe w/o access to the toilet water she will get better.
    mommy2Joel

Answer by mommy2Joel at 5:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• GIVE HER BABY BENADRYL, SMALL TEASPOON. IT WON'T HURT HER AND IT MIGHT HELP. I DO IT TO MY CATS AND EVEN MY YORKIE WHEN I THINK HE MIGHT HAVE EATEN SOMETHING TOXIC.

Answer by older at 6:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• benadryl is an antihistamine...it is used for allergies not for toxins.....
    I know I sometimes give my schnauzer pepto bismal for an upset stomach, not sure if you can give ti to cats ....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 12:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2009