Parents of children with autism, does your child recive ssi?

and if your child does do you mind sharing how much you recive each month? and are there rules/guidelines on what it can be used for?
we are waiting on a autism diagnoses and its been suggested we apply for ssi and im just curious of how it works

Riosmommy

Asked by Riosmommy at 3:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I got it for my 22 yr old when she was 6 yrs old. Shortly after that I left her father and had always used her checks to supplement the rent. It kept us out of the housing projects and trailer parks which chaotic places for autistic children.
    Don't worry how you spend it as long as it is to better the life of the child.
    Oh and you have to report your income to the worker or you will owe money.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My son had been getting it for years. The amount is determined by the parents income. Because the child had not put any money into Social Security and the parents have. So you have to meet the income guidelines. There is a sliding scale where if you so much, your son may still get some but not top out.

I don't know if you need to wait for the diagnosis to get it. I didn't. SS may send you to their own doctors anyway.

PM me and maybe I can explain it a little better and answer any other questions I can.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• no we dont get ssi.....it ususally really hard to get and my daughter is an aspie and most likely will be able to work and live on her own....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 1:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2009