Mom tosses newborn in a porta-potty

(CNN) -- A 44-year-old Maryland woman faces charges of child abuse after police say she gave birth in a portable toilet and dropped the newborn into the waste tank.

After exiting the portable toilet in Long Wharf Park in Cambridge, Candy Vigneri got a cigarette from a construction worker and sat at a picnic table, police Lt. Wayne Bromwell said.

As she sat, a male passer-by approached the toilet but Vigneri warned him, "Don't go in there, I just had a baby there," police said.

The man immediately called 911. Vigneri returned to the toilet and retrieved the newborn from the foul liquid at the base of the tank.

The baby was unresponsive and covered with a blue antibacterial chemical agent when emergency responders reached the scene, police said.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 4:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That is messed up!
    I am not excusing it at all, but she could have been in shock from what happened. I remember reading about a lady who was 6months pregnant and her baby was born in the toilet. She left the baby in there because she was in shock and finally after a while called 911. They didn't charge her with anything because she was in shock and couldn't even think to get the kid out of the toilet.

i doubt she was in shock if she went and just sat down to smoke.... also, wouldnt she be bleeding from delivering a baby? how did she not know she was pregnant, but have the "supplies" for the blood so she wouldnt stain her pants? LOL kind of a weird thought i know.
    Ginanne

Answer by Ginanne at 4:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Vigneri told officers that she didn't know she was pregnant.

She was arrested Wednesday on charges of child abuse and reckless endangerment and is being held on a $50,000 bond.

The baby is in stable condition at Easton Memorial Hospital. Dorchester County social services will take control of the newborn after she is released from the hospital.

Wonder what her sentence will be? I am curious to see the outcome. Poor baby!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• thats sad. and sick. and she should be stuck in one just like her baby but with no one to go retrieve her!!!! horrible! but atleast the baby is ok and hopefully someone who desperately wants a baby will take, raise, and love that baby like no one else could
    Anonymous

• angry

scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 4:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• OMG I have no words for people like that
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• That is messed up!
    Anonymous

• When I was younger I remember reading a story in I think readers digest where a guy kidnapped a little girl and a after molesting her, he threw her in a portapotty. She was in there for 4 or 5 days before somebody found her.
    It is just sick...there are no other words for it but sick.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• That just made me so sad. I can't believe how f**king sick people are these days. She should be shot point blank in the head and yes i would be happy to be the first one in line. THANK GOD THAT THE BABY IS ALRIGHT. Whatever jail this women is in I hope them other women beat her everyday.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• OMG how horrible...I hope that poor baby recovers and is alright, and I can't think of anything horrible enough for that pathetic excuse of a woman that give birth to her.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm glad the baby survived
    Anonymous