I want to be a teacher.

I have a bachelors degree and would love to be a teacher. But, I don't have my degree in early childhood education or anything like that. What do I need to do to become a teacher? Are there any tests or anything to take?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 4:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• You need to get certified in your state, which usually requires some coursework and training. I'm not sure if every state requires a test, but some do. Some districts do require some form of education degree, but many do not, so you might have the right educational credentials right now. You might, however, be required to complete some form of student teaching before you're left on your own. It's like an internship to help you with the practicalities of teaching-- like managing a classroom, preparing lesson plans, etc.

Check in with the local teacher's union, or the national education association. They can guide you on what you need to do.

Goo luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 4:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Depends on the state you live in.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• contact the Board of Education for your local school district. You can probably get certifed to teach high school by taking 4 or 5 classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Also try www.goldenapple.org

• In WA its just a one year certificate program if you already have your masters!! (i couldnt imagine its much different in other states)
    SaraNRiley

Answer by SaraNRiley at 6:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2009