Undecided on what to do

I found out that I need to have a radical hysterectomy, and I'm scared to death. I have 4 kids who are very dependent on mom and a DH who don't do anything but work and come home and sit on the couch the rest of the night. My Dr told me I would be in the hospital for 3 days and would need someone to help around the house for atleast a week. I would be going through surgical induced menopause on top of everything. The reason for the surgery is due to stage IV endometeriosis, I have tried all my option before now and it has come down to this. We don't wany more kids so that's not an issue. I'm just scared of how different I will be and if DH and I can make it through all the rough patches after the surgery. We are already a little rocky right now. I have no family near so either DH will have to be here with me or family will have to take off work to help me out. I'm scared, confused, and not sure if it's the right thing for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Health

• It sounds as though it is the right thing. You'll feel 100% better after the recovery time is over. Will he stay home with you for the first week and take care of things? Or can you find another family member who would do it? Or a couple friends who would take turns helping out? Maybe the children could visit some of their friends for the week. You need the surgery, so don't doubt that, see what you can do about getting help at least for the first week. and then take it very easy for a while afterward. Make sure that your husband understands that he'll be in charge, that he must step up and take over your job, just as you would for him. It's part of what marriage is about. Good luck with your surgery, and a smooth recovery. Feel much better soon. ((hugs)) and prayers.

Answer by Bmat at 4:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2009