• In the Spotlight:

Can she honestly be mad about this?

Well, both my kids have birthdays that are during the cold, rainy weather. So I decided with my DH that we would have a big 4th of July party so they could have the bounce houses ect. Followed by a big fire works show. My sisters birthday is July 9th and my step mom is mad, saying I am taking away from my sister. I asked her if she wanted to do a 4th of july party and a birthday for my sister and she said no...
Was i wrong doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• No not at all you offered and she said no so she will get over it sooner or later.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• no your not wrong. Im having a big back to school campout for the girls in my dd's class because her bday is in the winter and my dd wants an outdoor party. Its not for her b-day, no one is bringing gifts, its just a reason for us to have fun with freinds. People get bunched up about nothing. How old is your sis, out of curiosity? y wouldnt they want a joint party? your party sounds like fun dont let them spoil it!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Not at all. It would be nice if you'd acknowledge your sister's birthday, maybe with her own cake, a present, and singing happy birthday, plus whatever your mother decides to do for her birthday, if anything. This would be a nice surprise for your sister. Just a thought.

Answer by Bmat at 4:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Nope. I have a kid who's bday is in Nov. We've got snow by then. Kids love bounce houses. I think they're fun to get just for BBQs. You're not wrong, she's being silly.
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My sister is going to be 7. She didnt want to do a joint party because she didnt want red, white, and blue colors. Thats a good idea, I think I will just get her a cake and stuff anyway.
    Anonymous

• She is your sister, not your child. Your SM can have a party for her.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 4:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My sister does this for her daughter. It is a great idea and I say your stepmom should suck it up. The kids would probably love to have parties close together.
    In my family we have several weeks were we have a party a week because all the kids have birthdays close together. Your sister's can be the next week.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Did you ask your sister what she thinks? Maybe she likes the idea of having a bounce house! And then could do a separate party for her friends or the family the next weekend.
    Anonymous

• No, your step mom is selfish. Have a nice party. Tell her she doesn't have to come.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 6:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• No you are not wrong. It sounds like your step mom wants to stir up drama. You don't need to even comment on it. Your relationship with your sister is between you and your sister. If for some reason your sister has hurt feelings then let that be between you and her. More than likely it is your step mother's jealousy over not going all out for your sister. Just smile, make nice, nod your head to indicate you hear her, and just go about your business. Don't let her get your goat. You are doing this for YOUR children and YOUR family and friends. If she doesn't want to attend then so be it. If you check everything with her or change plans now you run the risk of having her try to run the show on future issues. There is absolutely no argument here. It takes two people to have a feud. It only just takes one to bitch. So let her bitch and moan - tune it out. And do your own thing your way.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009