How do I get my 4 year old daughter to understand what 'rhyme' means?

I am working with my daughter on a hooked on phonics program and there is rhyming game and I don't know how else I can get her to understand rhyming! I have tried again and again to explain it to her and she still sits here and doesn't get it so I am quite frustrated. Anyone have any ideas on how to teach a 4 year old the meaning of words rhyming?

april_wi

Asked by april_wi at 5:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• read alot of Hat in the Hat!! LOL
    I just make them up through out the day. For example while cleaning I would say " I saw the mop hop. Then laugh and say " I made a ryhme" After a while my son tried making his own. Just make it fun and often. SHe will get it!!
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• you have to just give examples. play games..what rhymes with bug..you say hug and see if she can give you one. You may have to give her choices. which rhymes with bug? hug or tire?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• have you told her the end of the word sounds the same on rhyming words?
    ria7

• My oldest is a visual learner and didn't get it until I SHOWED him....

F I S H
    D I S H

They rhyme.

Granted, not all words that rhyme are spelled alike...but that's for a different lesson! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2009