Were you brought up to think that Catholics weren't Christians?

I was. My mom got the idea from somewhere that Catholic people worship Mary, not God.

Now, of course, I know that's absolutely looney. But at one time, I believed her because I didn't know any different.

Beware what you teach your children! O.O

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was actually baptized Catholic and spent my first three years of my Christian life as a Catholic, until we switched to my stepfather's Pentecostal church, but that was because the Catholic church wouldn't recognize their marriage, not because he (or anyone else) ever said Catholics aren't Christians. Catholics ARE Christians. Protestantism broke away from Catholicism, and Catholicism grew out of the original Christians, even if Rome kind of took Christianity over when it happened....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I think there are Christians in all denominations.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• No, I was brought up Catholic to think Protestants were doing it wrong ;)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I was raised Catholic and just thought I was Catholic.

I was in the Bible belt when i was very young. I think I did think there are us small group of Catholics and a large group of Baptist.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 5:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yes, I was brought up with so much religious confusion. Eventually, among many other resulting questions as a child, one was- why so many subdivisions if each one says it's the truth?
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 5:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I was raised Christian and taught that Catholics were cut from a different cloth. I think my parents told me the same thing about them worshipping Mary. They explained it was wrong to use a messenger to communicate with God. That we are allowed to pray to him directly. I'm STILL confused about this, though, because I know Catholics who do not claim Christianity. Although, I also know Catholics who DO refer to themselves as Christian.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 5:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Nope, I was brought up to believe that they were part of "Christindom" and not true Christians but were Christian's none the less...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I wasn't brought up in a church, but my best friend in childhood was Catholic and she told me that if you didn't go to a Catholic church you weren't going to go to heaven. She was only 10 though, so I don't know . . . LOL.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• No. I was raised that anyone who believed Christ was their Savior were christians.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

____________

exactly!
    Anonymous