back labor

what does it feel like? does it start with normal contractions? or just bad bad nauseating back pain?

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 5:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It depends. As a matter of fact, I may be experiencing it in a mild form at the moment! I'm about 36 weeks along. I've been having 'uterine irritability' (which is really just contractions that don't cause labor.) My back pain is associated with the onset of contractions. I usually get a knotted feeling in my middle/lower back. That's followed by a contraction. Then it all starts up again! I wouldn't describe it as bad, bad nauseating back pain, though.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 5:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• for me it was in my lower back..and it just felt like the muscles of my lower back had a bad muscle ache that progressivley stronger as my contraction intensified...but I had contractions in front too...it wasn't pleasant! good thing I only had a 3 1/2 hour labor, lol!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• mine started out like a little "twinge" in my back, kinda like somebody held a phone that was on vibrate up against my back. Then as it got worse it kinda felt like a bad muscle spasm or cramp. It just escalated from there until it felt like my back was going to rip in half...lol. not really funny at the time, but that's the best way I can describe it. Hope I helped a little bit.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• When I had back labor with my son, it was really bad lower back pain with each contraction....I didn't feel a darn thing in my belly. My mom had always told me to not scream or yell....the most I did was moan "ooooooooo" with each one and the next time a nurse came in i said "I'd like an epidural please"
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My labor with my son started with contractions in my belly. Then the back labor started....I am a pretty tough girl but omg that brought me down and fast! No position was comfortable...it was horrible!! My husband and doctor were so shocked at how much pain I was in they skipped two other women to get me the epi first!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I woke up with mine and thought it was because I had not moved all night and was just sore. I had been admitted the night before and was given a sleeping pill and the nurse said I didn't move all night. After a while it felt like super bad, the worst you can imagine, menstrual cramps. Then, like another poster said, it felt like my muscles were being ripped out of my back. I also had pain just over my bladder - all contractions. I was given an epi at 1 cm and it worked for 2 hours so I felt the majority of my contractions.
    DeeGillette

Answer by DeeGillette at 6:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It was the worst pain ever. I started with regular contractions and the best way I can describe it is like the other two ladies said; I felt like my lower back and pelvis were going to break open. My husband tried to massage it, but nothing worked. I was in labor for more than 30 hours and finally had a c-section b/c I never dilated all the way. I'm pregnant now and read that you can ease the pain by putting yourself on all fours, that way it eases baby's weight from your back. I hope you don't have to experience this. God bless!
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 6:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• back labor sucks. lol. I had it when I was in labor with my DD.. I was induced with my daughter, and started actually feeling contractions around noon.. around 3 it really got intense.. I tried so many things to ease the pain, but nothing really worked... I remember thinking to myself as each contraction hit.. (if this doesn't stop, am I even going to have the strength to deliver my daugther? or will I have to get a c-section?) They gave me an epidural around 5, which helped A LOT for about an hour.. around 6 the pain came back with a vengeance.. my brother happen to be having a baby with his GF in a room across the hall, and at 6:30 my mom came in to tell me I had nephew.. but sad to say, my only thoughts were "that b!$*#" because of how much pain I was in.. at 8:03PM my DD made her appearance in the world. If it wasn't for my mom or DD's dad.. I don't know what I would have done :).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2009