• In the Spotlight:

Is it normal for my almost 3 year old to be terrible?

I have heard of the terrible twos but should they be THIS terrible?? My daughter doesnt listen to anything that I say. She is smart enough to hold up a good conversation so now she is talking back. She goes out of her way to be mean to my almost 2 year old. When I have a day off from work I want to do something fun with them but I find myself scolding and punishing her all day!

middlemix

Asked by middlemix at 5:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I hightly recommed the book "1,2,3 Magic".
    Do not accept back talk at all. Simply tell her "That's One". Give her a few minutes to think about it and decide that talking that way is not nice. If not... "That's Two". If it continues... "That's Three" and calmly send her to time out.

Mine is also nearly 3 and her behavior was getting worse. Until I put the brakes on, started learning to stay calm, and started being consistent with ALL bad behavior. The staying calm and consistent really helps. She knows what to expect, what's expected of her, and doesn't get any "wheeee... look how mad I was able to make mom!" factor when I stay calm.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I have the same problem, I have no advice. But just wanted you to know you are not alone.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Oh boy, can I relate! My daughter is almost 3 and I find myself wondering where my sweet child went. I think it's typical for them to develop like this (although that is no excuse to stop disciplining.) I have been doing ALOT of punishing and time outs for the last few months. If you can, try to find a quiet time with her to see what she wants to do. With my daughter, I tend to discuss things with her in the morning, when she's happiest. I see what she'd like to do that day (go swimming, to the park, etc.) Once we've settled on an activity, I use that as motivation for her to behave properly. If she wants to visit grandma, she's not allowed to throw massive tantrums! And if she does, she doesn't get to go. I hope things ease up for you soon.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 5:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Just suggestion...what about spending time alone with her...just her...maybe she's resenting having to share you...I don't know...I'm no expert on this subject.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 5:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• yeah i would say it's normal. my used to babysit a 3yr old girl and whenever she would play with my son she was just a brat! hitting him, pushing him, and taking his toys away. just try different methods of punishment: time outs, take a toy away, tell her she can't play outside if she's not a good girl, and if you take her outside and she acts like a brat take her right inside and sit her in time out, sometimes tough love is the only way to go! and if you get to the point where if you tell her no, you still let her do what she wants.. shes going to think she can get away with anything!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 5:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I use to work in a day care and we had a few little girls like that we couldnt really do anything about it but she got better with time and leared that life is easier when she was a good girl
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 5:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Hun its called the terrifying 3's my dd will be 3 in september and we're getting into the terrifying 3's good luck is all I can say
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 9:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2009