is this sacrilegious use of a Catholic Candle?

The kids want to do fireworks. I am ok with that. but I usually keep a candle burning for them light their punks and sparklers. Well this year we didn't buy one of them mosquito ones because we got a lot of off spray.

The only candle I can find is an Our Lady of Guadalupe candle. It is just a candle. I haven't lit it yet for a constant prayer or anything. The candle isn't blessed...

Maybe she can look over us while shooting off fireworks? Or should I spring for the other kind of candle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• ugg... I don't know much about church and candles but I know God and I would not use it for anything other than its intended purpose. Which I guess is to light it and pray.
    Anonymous

• its just a candle. tell god youre sorry on sunday. im sure he will forgive you
    valerielehne

Answer by valerielehne at 5:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Sure - it's just a candle you can certainly use it. I had a similar candle someone gave me and keept it in the cabinet in case the electricty goes out.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yes, it is absolutely an abomination, you will go straight to hell if you lid it. LOL

Of course not, a candle is a candle. Enjoy your celebration and leave the superstition aside.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 5:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Ah yes... better to ask forgiveness than permission, eh valerielehne??

eye rolling

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Is it Blessed?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• If it's not blessed it's just a candle no matter who's picture is on it. Only once it is blessed does it become "special"...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It is just a candle whether it is "blessed" or not. Objects do not need to be blessed... rituals are superstitions in and of themselves... It has nothing to do with anything of God...

Anonymous

• If it was blessed I would NOT use it, but it is not blessed.
    Anonymous

• This is mostly a matter of what impression your children will receive. If it were me, I would bring out the candle with a delighted, "Mother Mary can join us in our fireworks fun tonight !"

It is definitely not sacriligious, there are no "sacrilege" fairies out watching for misdemeanors - it is mainly about your respect, and the way you lead your children.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2009