What to wear to an evening wedding

I am attending a 4 pm church wedding which is followed by a reception and dinner at a fairly high end resort. I have no idea what is appropriate, people are often so informal so I am having trouble judging what's correct. Do people wear hosiery anymore? Heels? Help.

artC1s

Asked by artC1s at 5:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• A nice dress (no matter what people say, black, red and white are NEVER appropriate to wear to a wedding unless you are in the wedding party and that is the color the bride has chosen), hosiery if you don't like going without it and heels are fully appropriate. Think something you would wear to church. For the outside wedding, a summer dress with nice sandals (heeled) is definitely appropriate. Look at the invitations for hints, is it written formally? I.E. Mr & Mrs. Jones is proud to announce that their daughter Jane Jones is exchanging wedding vows with Mr. Lee Smith, son of..... etc..... that would definitely require hose and heels, if it's more Jane and Lee are getting married at 4 on saturday, you should still wear a dress but hose and heels would be optional.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• bumpidk - i have the same ? i have an evening ouside wedding coming up - what is appropriate?

scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 5:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• The later in the day the wedding is, the more formal. EX: 4 is more formal than 2. 7 is more formal than 4.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 6:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Since it is at 4 it isn't as dressy. White isn't EVER color to wear to a wedding but I am a firm believer that you can wear black, esp. if it is after 7. Since the wedding is at 4 I would say a nice dress and heels. You don't have to wear panty hose. You also don't have to wear cocktail because the wedding is before 6.
    catmiller520

Answer by catmiller520 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My DD wedding is at 6pm on Aug. 1st, and it is formal and candlelight,so I hope I don't see any sandals and sundresses. At an evening wedding your attire should be formal,a dinner dress ,with dinner purse,the male should have a tux or dinner jacket. Now, I'm not sure,if women still have to wear tea length,because they make some beautiful short formal dresses,also age have alot to do with it too,I don't think an older woman would look nice in a short dress.bride

Anonymous