My daughter is learning to climb...is it normal for her to fall on her head so often?

denmacy

Asked by denmacy at 5:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OMG, yes.........we called my daughter 1 Lump or 2 for quite some time around the 16 month mark. I took her to the ER once because she had such ugly lumps and they said the forehead typically looks worse than it is. We have pics with bruises too. She is out of that phase for the most part.......thankfully. Always watch those climbers!! My first two kids were not like this, but #3 is part monkey.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It depends on the degree of the falls. But remember that infants and toddlers are VERY top heavy. Compared to the rest of us, their heads are huge bowling balls. When they fall, it is next to impossible for them to keep their heads from hitting the ground, the head just weighs too much. But also remember that heads are very hard, the brain is very well protected. If it weren't the race wouldn't survive since no one expect the most timid of children would survive childhood.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2009