I watch my friend's five year old. His mom brings him a sippy cup of milk every morning. This drives me nuts! Should I say something to the mom, or not allow him to use it in my home? My six year old hasn't used one in years!

lisalese74

Asked by lisalese74 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Definitely discuss it with her first. Don't be harsh, but don't sugarcoat it either. Just explain to her that you think it could be stunting his development. Try to use your own child as an example. If she gets offended or insists that you let him use it, then follow her lead. It's her kid. If she wants him to use a sippy cup until he's 14 years old, that's her choice. However, you could try to encourage him to use a regular cup as well.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 6:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• not your place...if mom doesn't have a problem then leave it alone. It really isn't hurting anything and just because your kid hasn't used one in years doesn't mean her's shouldn't.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Does it drive you nuts bc he is five years old and using a sippy cup?

If so be happy she brings her own milk in it and is smart enough to bring a sippy cup atleast he won't make a mess...unless it leaks then I get your point.

If there is no mess don't worry about it...Milk is very expensive now so if you don't mind giving them your gallon of milk then don't worry about.

I hope I understood what you are saying that was all I came up with :)

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm not sure why it really matters. My son is 5 and uses a sippy cup in the car. It's no spill and that is great when you are dealing with a clumsy 5 year old. I mean is a sippy all he uses? Then I guess I might see a point but if it's a cup of milk in the morning for the drive over or even if it's just in the morning because he is drowsy and more likely to spill...I dunno I would say it's her child and her choice though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm not sure why it matters esp. if he walks in with it. She's prob. givng him a cup of milk in the A.M. and that's a great idea for the car etc. just give him reg. cups when he's there. And then if its an all day thing she will see him using reg. cups at your house and maybe transition over.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Honestly why in the heck does it bother you what someone else decides to do with there child? Perhaps its for transfer purposes so it doesnt slosh around. She's bringing him milk that you dont have to provide. You should be thanking her for the thoughtfulness. I hope that this issue is the worse thing you have to deal with. I would be furious if my babysitter friend or not, made my child feel uncomfortable with his choice of drinking glasses. Are you afraid your child will want a sippy cup lol?

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I don't see much difference from a sippy cup and an adult walking around with a Big Gulp, complete with lid and straw. *shrug*
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• What's the big deal with a 5 year old using a sippy cup? Does the fact that his mom allows him to use a sippy cup bother you so much that you have to actually come on here and ask the question? Or does it bother you that you don't allow your 6 year old to be comfortable and use a no-spill cup? Like mancosmomma said - compare it to an adult using a big gulp or what about the adults who carry those bottles around with tips that pop up? Heaven forbid we allow our kids to be kids a little while longer. I finally had to throw out my daughter's sippy cup, not because she's too old to use it but because it got disgustingly dirty and gross from misuse!
    Donna1

Answer by Donna1 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2009