Would you take a medication considered group "b" while b/f?

My doc prescribed tetracycline and it's a type B drug...he wanted me to stop b/f altogether. Luckily the moms on here let me know he was jumping the gun! I have to admit though I am still a little nervous about taking it....would/have you taken something that had warnings while b/f or pregnant?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes I think it's just fine to take that while breastfeeding
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I've taken something that was a B...or a L2..it was Diflucan to prevent yeast and prevent thrush when taking an antibiotic, much better than getting thrush...that sucks
    Heck tylenol 3 which they gave me for pain after giving birth is a L3 and I still nursed...I didn't take it much
    Ever drank something with caffeine? Like soda or coffee, how about had chocolate? Caffiene is a L2
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Oh I've had plenty of coffee :) Thanks!! I just picked it up from the pharmacy and after reading the literature that comes with it I am comfortable with it. Thanks!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• While pregnant (8 months now with #2) with either of my children I took no medication. When breastfeeding #1 I still refused to take medicine. In your situation though, I would do research on the meds and decide for myself. Heres a webpage on tetracycline: http://www.otispregnancy.org/pdf/tetracycline.pdf

This was taken from that link: "In a baby, the bones and teeth continue to harden until one year of age. Therefore, if a baby is exposed to tetracycline in breast milk, theoretically it could cause tooth discoloration and delayed bone growth. Yet, since only very low levels of tetracycline are secreted into the breast milk, no problems have been reported in nursing babies. The American Academy of Pediatrics has rated tetracycline as usually compatible with breastfeeding."

So yes, I would take it. Only in the smallest possible dosage though.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 7:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm taking one that is considered L2 at the moment. My doc said it wasn't compatible with BF, but my son's pediatrician said it was. I'd call your child's doc and ask them.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 8:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2009