What would you do?

So the cat has peed in the corner again.. This is a chronic problem. I gave my two other cats to my ex to see if that would help and it obviously hasn't. The litter box was fairly clean and she decided to use my youngest sons room yet again.
Some people have suggested re litter box training her which I honestly do not think that will help. Nor do I have the time to do that. I also do not have the money to take her to the vet for more urinalysis tests. The last one she had was normal. The vet believed it was a stress related issue.
So I am at my breaking point. I have had to rip carpet out, throw stuffed animals out that belong to my 2 month old and try to keep my husband from choking her himself.
I can't/don't want to try and defend her anymore. Do I take her to the pound and wish her luck or make the hard decision to put her down. FYI- Her adoption chances suck with her attitude and issues.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Well, taking her to the pound is about the worst option. The fact that you have an animal that you refuse to properly train due to issues with time management is your fault, not the cat's. I think you should try to litter box train her again, that should be your first option - even if you don't think it will work. People are dumping their pets at pounds at alarming rates nowadays, mostly due to the economy. If you're turning your cat in because of her peeing problem, that's really irresponsible. Why do I feel this way? I'm sitting next to a cat at this very moment that was just abandoned by her owner because she simply didn't want it anymore. If the litter box training doesn't work, you should try adopting her out next. There ARE people out there who are capable and willing to take on a cat with challenges.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 6:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• SOMETIMES CATS NEED A COMPLETELY CLEAN BOX, OTHER TIMES THEY DO THIS KIND OF STUFF BECAUSE OF ANOTHER UNDERLYING PHYSICAL PROBLEM. GET ONE OF THOSE SELF CLEANING BOXES, THEY ARE PRICEY BUT WELL WORTH IT.

Answer by older at 6:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Some cats urinate outside the litter box for idiopathic reasons. In other words, sometimes there is no answer. To the first poster, your response was a bit harsh. Personally I would not have any animal urinating or defecating in my home. It is unsanitary and can be a health issue for humans. Retraining is not always easy nor successful. If the cat in question also has issues with temperament and you honestly can not work with this cat then euthanasia is acceptable. It is very hard to place any animal with aggression issues.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 7:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• There is no reason to put down a healthy cat because she has stress issues, if you dont have time for her find her a home its not hard place an add in the paper or on craigs list. And if you dont have the time or money to deal with her then she needs someone who can give her what she needs. I am not being bitchy i have had to do this with my pets in the past and it didnt take long to find them homes and one of my cats even went to a home where they take him on vacation with them which i find funny.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• if it's stress related you rehome her and then it's their problem. send her to a rescue. i don't see the need for her to destroy your house and risk your childrens health.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'd have her put down! Why would you want to give her to someone else to deal with when you know how she is?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• a cat of my parent's did this about 16 years ago. We moved into a new house and also my little brother was born. Well one of my mom's female cats actually started spraying in my little brother's rooms. Vet said it was stress too. Well we started putting extra litter boxes around the house, and also she became a half indoor/ half outdoor cat. She got over it.
    Start by putting a litter box in the corner that she has been peeing in. Since it's in your son's room, make sure to scoop it multiple times a day and put baking soda in it to keep the smell down. If she uses it, slowly move it out of his room and towards where the other box is.
    SouthernRoses

Answer by SouthernRoses at 9:11 AM on Jul. 4, 2009