Does this "mini-pill" actually work or what??

The literature that came with it is making me nervous!!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah it works if you are ONLY breastfeeding, you can't be supplimenting and when you start solids the effectiveness goes down, you must take it every day at the same time no matter what, the effectiveness is only about 95% even at its best, but it works..

I used it and it dried up my milk, I'm sensitive to any hormones, so the next 2 times i went with a Paragard IUD...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It works even if you aren't breastfeeding... I had a friend who was super-sensitive to the hormone estrogen and so she was on the minipill as a childless college student. It's more effective than a condom, less effective (percentage-wise) than the combination pill. But you really do have to follow the instructions by the book, and if you slip up (i.e. take the pill an hour late), you have to use a condom for 48 hours (I think I wait even longer). I set my cell-phone alarm for 10 pm and that helps me remember...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• How do you know that it doesn't work if you miss the time by one hour? I've never been good at taking my pill at exactly the same time everyday. Sometimes I'll miss by an hour or so..
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 5:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It is a very good form of birth control for those BFing or sensitive to estrogen. It works no matter what (supposedly works better if BFing) as long as you take it at the same time every day. It has a very short life cycle so to speak. It is effective as long as you take it within 3 hours of the time you are suppose to but the more you do this the less effective it becomes (like missing pills when on regular birth control). If you keep forgetting to take it on time why not do like I do. I set a timer on my phone to go off every day at noon and I take it then.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2009