Should we get another vet opinion???

We have 2 golden retrievers one is 7 yrs. and the other is 4 yrs. anyway we took them to the vet to catch up on their shots and they are ok except for that the 7 yrs old has a mild case of hearworms and the 4 yrs. old still has stage 2 (I think it goes up to stage 5) It being soo expensive we asked around and my dh has a couple of friends who go hunting and recommended some kind of medicine that they use on their dogs when they go hunting you give it to them once a month and it suppose to kill the hearworms. My 4 yrs old has had this since a year ago (we are behind on their shots as mention above) anyway we have been using this medicine for a year now and now the vet is saying he is still in stage 2 heartworm ( I was hoping the medicine helped this far) I guess it has for it still being stage 2 on the heartworms. but my real question is should we get another vet opinion???
It is going to cost $600.00 each dog :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Pets

• It can't hurt, I mean the worst they can say is it will be more expensive with them right?
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 7:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I would suggest spending the money on treatment vice another opinion. The dogs need to be treated.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 7:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Its better to have them treated because heartworms may die off with the meds but their eggs wont be killed and the eggs take 6 months to develpoe. Ask your vet more questions about it if you are unsure if they wont answer you then find another vet. A vet is just like a DR if they cant give you a full answer as to why they want to do something and the risks of not doing it them you need a different vet.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It sounds to me like the medication you were giving for the last year is a heartworm preventative. Heartworm prevention medication only kills heartworms if your dog was on the preventative to begin with. Once your dog has them, it's too late. Your dogs need to be treated by the vet and yes, it is expensive. See if your vet will work out a payment plan. Heartworms are nothing to mess around with.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• As an old dog breeder we used Ivomec, which can be gotten at any feed store. Get the one with the pig on the bottle not the cow. The dose is .1 of 1cc (that is 1 tenth of a cc) per 10 lbs.of body weight of the dog. So a 100 lb. dog would get 1cc. Do not inject this, give it to the dog down the mouth oraly. This is for monthly treatment for prevention but some use it for treatment of the condition. Costs about $60 but will last you a year for 2 dogs. Good luck. Look at what your flea meds are made of, they are ivomectin.
    Chris1050

Answer by Chris1050 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• This site is wonderful in explaining your situation, perhaps a bit more clear than your Vet. I read it over thoroughly and can not find fault . If you have anymore questions please ask.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_heartworm_treatment.html

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:21 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I know a bit from being in the same postion.
    heart worms (adults in the heart) have a 2 year life span.
    heartguard (preventitive meds.) kill eggs given off by adults in the heart. If you could kill the eggs for 2 years, technically the adults in the heart would not multiple and eventually die.
    The meds. that Chris1050 talked about help with fleas, hook worms, and egg & baby heartworms. Avalible at the Co-Op, tracker Supply, Feed Store, etc. Much cheaper than Heartworm preventitive. Even with Heart worm surgery at the vet, they have you put the dog on preventitve for 6 months prior to procedure.The other option is check with local vet schools or local shelters to see if they do any for teaching/training perposes at a discount price. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• that's something that could kill them so if it were me i would get it treated...the worse it gets the more expensive is usually the way it goes....goodluck and don't let yourself fall behind on their shots anymore =) I think those meds are to prevent them not treat them...not sure though. never had to use them...good luck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• You CAN use Heartgard (sold by your vet usually to PREVENT heartworms) but It takes longer and is off label. some vets will some vets won't. All you can do is ask. the normal treatment of injections of Imidicide is expensive (even for the vet) because there are no generics. And 600 each is not bad at the office I work for, for a golden it would be closer to 800-1000 per dog! (depending on weight)Just ask your vet about using heartgard.
    Anonymous