Are there any natural ways to get rid of diaper rash?

My mom told me that when I was little, she used to let the sun shine on my butt when I had a diaper rash. She said it worked. I'm a bit skeptical about this method. However, it started me thinking about natural ways to rid the dreaded diaper rash. Any one have any known solutions to getting rid of diaper rash naturally instead of using creams and ointments.

momsc

Asked by momsc at 7:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Plain cornstarch works pretty good...so does regular Vaseline
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 7:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I bathe my daughter every night, try to be vigilant in changing her diaper as soon as I know she's wet or dirty and let her sit on the changing pad without her diaper for a few minutes during each changing. She still gets diaper rash occasionally and I will put diaper rash ointment on it, but it's happened less and less since I've started doing all 3 of those things (we weren't bathing her everyday until she was about 2 months).
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• As I was reading your post I was going to say just let the baby run naked let the natural air hit it wash the area dabb dry that let it ride...Mom is sooo right!!! Do it!

If not just put alittle cornstarch on their butts that should be good (just lightly powdered)...

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I agree cornstarch the kind sold for making gravies. Vaseline I found helpful not with a tiny hiney rash but to use once healed or before a rash. It keeps pee and poo from sticking to skin, instead the yuck sticks to the vaseline. I also buttered up babies bums with vaseline before swimming so the chlorine wouldn't bother them.

Bathing in arm and hammer baking soda with out a rash or even with one helps it to smooth and heal. That's good too to bathe in with chicken pox. Feel better Little One!!!
    Anonymous

• I browned powder on the stove, and waited untill it was cold and them just put it on my babys bottom and leave it on there.
    Anonymous

• I agree w/ poster #1 i use to use it on my babies.
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• earth mama angel baby bottom balm and sun. :) Different diapers too. Oh! Probiotics and change more often.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• browned powder on the stove and cooled? Wow that's one I've not heard before. What does browning the powder do vs. putting it on baby unbrowned?
    Anonymous

• I neva heard of browing powder either, lol. I don't know if u want to try a ointment called A and D ointment. Goodluck.
    demelina56

Answer by demelina56 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• sunshine worked for my boys!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2009