How many people are paying too much for their healthcare

because they are too proud to tell the doctor they can't afford insurance and just let him assume there are other reasons they aren't covered?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Huh? What difference does it make if they can't afford insurance or aren't covered for other reasons?
    Anonymous

• Most doctors will give reduced fees when you let them know in advance you need help paying.
    Anonymous

• You can to a doctor if you dont have insurance. Its nice but its not a requirement. The practice I work for, has reduced fees for those whithout health insurance. If we are not notified there is a problem, but someone continually doesnt pay their bill, after many attempts we have no choice but to start the collection process. Most of the biggest offenders are those with insurance. Many call and make payment arrangements.

IF people have such issues, with insurance then they should lobby for Washington to change it. We have a system, perfect it is not. But it is something.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 8:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Many people i know can't afford health care because if they spend the extra money on insurance each month then they cant make their house payment and many times when you try to go to the Dr. when you need it and you tell them you cant afford it they will tell you they cant help you.I have run into this many times and even if i can afford the huge bill for an office visit i cant afford the medicine they prescribe to fix the problem. I was only able to get on medicaid because i am pregnant with no insurance but if it wasnt for that i would never get medical care.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I was only able to get on medicaid because i am pregnant with no insurance but if it wasnt for that i would never get medical care.------------------------

Then you were not looking in the right places. I have worked in different practices. And always in the billing department. And all had policies on ability to pay, not if you had insurance. And all had reduced rates. And I recieved health care myself without having insurance. I would get a discount if I paid at time of service. Help is out there. You just have to know where to look.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 8:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Most Dr.s will change meds or give discounts, samples or do whatever it takes for a patient who has lost their insurance or has fallen on hard times. I went to my Dr and told him i needed to change to a less expensive blood pressure med and he was happy to switch me. If you go to a Dr for the first time and say I don't have insurance, they will tell you you have to pay in full but even then if you talk to the Dr. sometimes you can get them to bill you for part of the total. If you don't ask for help you will not get it. Dr.s can't read minds.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• This is SO true. And many states offer subsidies, etc to help, but you can't run around just ignoring things. You just have toask
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2009