feelings on 4 month olds and boats?????

I feel kinda weird about having my 4 month old ride in a boat and then be outside with us all day. We are bring a canopy but I still don't know.

sloanesmommy

Asked by sloanesmommy at 7:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i don't think i'd be comfortable with it either. they can't really do anything so they won't enjoy themselves. that and even with a canopy the rays reflect off the water and 4 months is too young for sunscreen. maybe if its more of a house boat style boat where you can take the baby inside, but if theres no where to take baby inside, just too much sun and too much heat for a full day thing. thats JMO though. do whatever you are comfortable with
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'd say go with your gut. If you feel bad about it then don't do it. I don't know what other people do, but a lot of other people do crazy things too. My son is 5 months old and if I feel that it's not safe for him I just don't go. Like to a ballgame when it is 95% out. But keep the temperature in mind and if it is too hot for you then it's way to hot for baby.

I don't know about safety laws on boat, but I do know children under a certain age are required to wear a life jacket. Do they make any that small??
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Ehhh, I'd be too worried as well. A boat RIDE, sure, but all day on a boat?

1. He NEEDS sunscreen, and technically is too young. But i would not take him out without it, canopy or not.

2. He needs a life jacket, and yeah, I don't know how comfortable he'd be in one, or if they even make them that small.

3. What if he gets incredibly fussy, and you have no way to get off the boat?

4. THE HEAT!

Sounds like something that should be saved for when he's older, unless like OP said it's like a houseboat and you can go inside with him.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• where will he sleep and nurse?
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2009