Could they take her baby after it's born because she is testing positive for pot while pregnant?

My cousin is due in July and just had an appointment where she looked in her file and saw that the Dr made a note of contacting child services. When she was 5 months she was stoned and her boyfriend wrecked. She was hurt real bad and he was charged also. He has a history of drug related charges. She has been testing positive for pot since she has been pregnant and has been making up dumb stories of why. I think her accident shows her lack of disregard for that fetus and wonder how far services will take it. The doctor never told her and CPS never contacted her. Will they later if she don't quit? How does this work?

ThatBoysMom

Asked by ThatBoysMom at 7:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• They will be up at the hospital when she has that baby count on that it happens all the time. The doctor can't do anything until she has the child so that's when CPS will be called. I hope that child is healthy and OK when it's born. That's a heartless person your cousin.

Anonymous

• They should
    Anonymous

• I hope they at least investigate her. I would call them myself if it was my family member. That baby needs to be protected.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• they can since they see a pattern

Answer by admckenzie at 8:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• my understanding is that they will take the baby if there are drugs in the child's system at birth, but I don't know for sure

Answer by missanc at 8:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Thanks Girls
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 9:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2009