fruit and veggies...

i try really ahrd to get my 1 year old all the servings of fruit and veggies he needs.. but some days tis hard to get that!!!!

he eats a grain and a fruit for breakfast, maybe 2 fruits, occasionally a dairy.
dairy and fruit for a snack...
2 different veggies for lunch, sometimes dairy..
grains for another snack, sometimes fruit..
and 2 more vegges for dinner...

but how big is a serving of fruit or veggies for his age??
for kunch he eats a ?WHOLE can of veggies, i eman the canned peas/carrots that sorta thing.. not teh baby food...

or like a whole peach, or 10 grapes..

also i really need to get my 3 year old to eat better... he wont eat fruits or very many veggies, he likes peas, corn., green beans and beans, banannas, and yogurt and cheese.. thats about it.. cept bologna and niggest. or sandwiches...

2cuteboysrmine

Asked by 2cuteboysrmine at 7:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Give them V-8 Fusion fruit juice. It has a full serving of fruits and veggies in one 8-ounce cup and it's YUMMY!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Why do you think your kids arent getting what they need? Are they underweight? It sounds like you are giving them what they need and kids are probably the best at eating the right portions of foods when they are very young. Most of the time kids wont over eat unless they are taught to. what i mean by that is when they get forced into the 3 meals a day idea that our society seems to think is healthy. Once they learn that then they will eat more at meals so that they don't get hungry between meals. And i would be very careful about giving juice of any kind because many juices are full of extra sugars and even when they have no added sugars the natural sugars in fruit juice can be astronomical. if you are going to give them juice i suggest watering it down because all the sugars are not good for anyone.
    I sounds like your diet for them is more healthy than what most kids are eating.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 8:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• they only get 6 oz of juice a day..,, they both are fine weight wise i was jsut thinking about teh food pyramid and wondering how in teh world a 1 year old gets all that into their diet in 1 day!!!

thanks for the input so far!!!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 8:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• i just offer my kids healthy options and let them eat as much, or as little as they want. My dr told me that as long as I was offering healthy foods (lots of fruits and veggies) and my kids were growing appropriately, I didn't need to worry about amounts of foods.

Answer by missanc at 8:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Hon, it sounds like you are doing a GREAT job :). There are ways to hide vegetables and fruits. Do you have a blender? When you have spaghetti, blend up some cooked vegetable and some spaghetti sauce. When totally blended/pureed add it to the sauce. Make the food fun for your 3 year old. My blender was a life saver. My daughter would hardly eat any fruits/veges. Make smoothies........they can just drink them, or make Popsicles out of the smoothies.

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I don't see much of a problem with the amounts they are getting. You can add a multivitimine for them just to give them a little boost.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I like the Canadian Food Guide better than the US one (Focuses on fruits and veggies more than grains) and deemphasize protein since many, esp. in the US get too much. (they also state "Have meat alternatives such as beans, lentils and tofu often." which is nice to see).

http://www.hc- sc.gc.ca/ fn-an/food- guide-aliment/ basics-base/ quantit-eng. php

Answer by rkoloms at 11:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• You have to realize that the serving size for a 1 year old is way different than for an adult or even a 3 year old. Your child may be getting enough veggies and fruits with the way you are feeding him. A serving for a 1 year old is a tablespoon or 2 of a fruit or veggie. Limit juice to no more than 6 ounces a day. Make fruit smoothies. Also, 1 year olds don't like a lot of different textures and it will take a lot of tries before they learn to like some textures, others they may just not like, ever. My son is 13 and still won't eat jello, he thinks it's the grossest thing in the world. If your child likes meatloaf, add finely chopped carrots, green peppers, zucchini or squash, you can even add this to spaghettit sauce. Add veggies to mac and cheese. Make your own applesauce and add other fruits. I have seen homemade applesauce with added strawberries all mashed together.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• tyfry... thanks... thats mainly what i was concerned about i knew the serving size for a 1 year old was smaller than an adult but didnt know exactly what it was....... i know my 1 year old eats well..

my 3 year old is still a problem, he ate very well until about 18 months then hated meat, and since i was pregngant and then ahd a new born we kinda let his eating slide!!! as soon as things settle down after our move i plan on cooking better meals and inforcing veggies and more fruits!!! hed live on yogurt and cheese if i let him!!! so atleast its not all junk food! i jsut despice chicken nuggets and bologna!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2009