• In the Spotlight:

What is the purpose of God parent?

drink-lover

Asked by drink-lover at 8:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• should that read godparents?
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 8:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• if anything should ever happen to you they will take care of, love and raise the kids.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• They are to insure the child is raised in the ways of the church. They are not to raise the child if something happens to you. That would have to be a pre-planned legal guardianship.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• so you have someone special to babysit and gouge for gifts on birthdays, graduation and weddings other than grandparents.
    Anonymous

• i dunno. my DD's godparents are our best friends who are also signed as witnesses to our wedding & were our best man & matron of honor. it wasnt really a choice or anything religious at all. my DH just asked them if they would do it, they were honored & excepted. my DH says its more so they have a title in our DD's life...like honorary aunt & uncle or something.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Depends.

From a legal POV, a Godparent is a term for someone named in a will who will care for an individual's children should the individual be unable to care for their children.

From a spiritual POV, a Godparent is a term for someone who has agreed to raise up your child in your chosen faith should the unthinkable happen to you and you are unable to do it yourself.

You can be a spirtual Godparent and not be a legal/guardian one and vice-versa.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

This is the correct answer ...It's a big decision..unfortunately I made a mistake choosing mine, but was kinda forced into it
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm sorry but thats the way my family always did Godparents. They got us when our folk couldn't take are of us. Wouldn't God want them to watch over us physically and spiritually?

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• mumma, I picked my children's God parents carefully. My parents. My sister was a tad bit upset and picked my other sister and her husband's best friend this way she could show me! Well my younger sister is now atheist and the best friend lives in Canada. Glad she showed me.

I know my parents will kick my arse if I don't get the kids to mass, my sister will smoke a cig and tell them how the Catholic Church is not all that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• A Godparent is a person who agrees to raise your child(ren) in the faith if you die. A Godparent makes a religious promise to raise their friends' child(ren) as their own.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2009