Anyone own a 1998-2003 Dodge Durango?

Ok my FIL owns a towing business and sometimes there are vehicles that get towed in and no1 ever comes to get them...normally they get auctioned off but every once in a while some1 in the family will want it...got my last car there (98 taurus w) but its tranny quit so I need to find a car...my husband is in the Army and will be doing job training in Georgia from Aug-Dec...neway...Theres a red 98-03 (unsure of the year I might look at it tomorrow) Durango at the towing lot...I just really wanna get a vehicle that is automatic at least a '00 year perferably...that will make it from Kansas to Georgia (and back! LOL) a few times...and also drive to whichever state we get stationed at (and keep running)...those cars there are a hit or miss though...there have been brand new cars there that are a piece of crap...so I was wondering if any of you Durango owners have ever had any major problems...and if so what? & what year??

Briyawna

Asked by Briyawna at 8:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Shopping

• my grandfather owns a2000 durango.. i drive it frequently and LOVE it!!!!

never had any problems , ok take that back it over heated 2 times and a small spark started a fire.. but that was the mechanics fault not the cars....

id say go for it!!
    also they have tons of room for carseas and baby gear!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 8:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I researched them before I bought a vehicle and I ended up going with a Trailblazer. We heard that they have ball joint and/or wheel bearing issues.We actually have a friend whose wife had one, she was driving down the road and the bearing (???) broke and the wheel came off completely! You can easily have this checked out by a mechanic because it will show the wear and tear.
    I have also heard that they love gas. I am NOT an owner this was just stuff that I read and heard about when I researched them a couple of years ago. I think they are cute vehicles myself. If you get it GOOD LUCK to ya!!!! If not keep looking the right vehicle is out there!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I have a 2005 durango and i LOVE it! I have had it a little over a year now and the only problem I ever had was a dead battery when I left the key in accessory mode too long. Its great for hauling kids and suprisingly gets decent gas milage for an suv. Just took it on a trip from Wa to Ok a little over a month ago and it did great.
    dolphinstar79

Answer by dolphinstar79 at 2:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2009