Do you care about a candidate's religion when voting for them?

Would you also ever vote for a president a different religion from you.Do you think presidents of another religion can be good presidents or can people of only YOUR religion be moral people?

babysyoungmom1

Asked by babysyoungmom1 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i care somewhat...and yes, i have voted for candidates of other religions/denominations. there haven't been too many baptists(my denom) in candidacy (to my memory), and the last one that was, huckebee...well, no, i didn't vote for him.
    anyone can be moral, without a religion. morality doesn't necessarily designate religious character.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• No, I don't care what religion they are. I don't think religious affiliation dictates morality. And even though I like morality, I don't even think that is the most significant criteria for voting- I think that for me the most significant thing is their policy. If I agree with the policy, the morality behind it, and the religion or lack thereof behind that is not that important to me.
    I'm Canadian and there does not seem to be as much public interest in the religious beliefs of those in office. I honestly do not know the religion of our current prime minister (I suspect some denomination of Christianity but do not know, that's an assumption.) I am betting that 99.9% of the people I have voted for over the years were not the same religion as me, just because there aren't a whole ton of Buddhists in my area. As I said, it doesn't matter to me as long as I agree with their policy direction.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Only if he seems to think that his religion needs to become my law. As long as he's willing to keep it to himself, the way the Constitution says he should, then I'm okay with whatever religion he/she want's to claim.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 8:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I don't mind as long as he doesn't bring it into the Whitehouse. There is a reason for the law that says Church and State shall not mix.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• the only reason a candidate's religion is important to me is to make sure they arent sacrificing children or animals in the name of their God(s) (which i doubt any mainstream religion does). i also agree w/ mizkaye that i will never vote for someone who thinks their religious beliefs should dictate my choices & actions...in fact my vote this time around was somewhat based on that last bit.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Not at all. Though if he/she uses religion and family values as a campaign crutch, they wouldn't get my vote.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• No I do not look at an individual's religion to determine if they get my vote. Nor do I look at gender, race, or sexual orientation. I look at the agenda, ideas, policy issues and record.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I just focus on issues.

Besides most politicians don't have stances on issues that perfectly reflect their religion anyway. So we can't be lazy and just judge them by their faith, or chances are, we'd get it wrong.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• i do take it into consideration, but it is not the only thing i look at. often running candidates share the same religion anyway.
    Anonymous

• I would *PREFER* if a candidate didn't use religion as a crutch when making decisions (Mr. Bush, that means you.) I'm sure many many many many other presidents have used God in their decision-making, but Bush was the only one that I can think of off the top of my head.

But I kinda have to pick a candidate with views other than my own. I don't think there will be an agnostic atheist candidate any time soon.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2009