pride? Is it maybe the deadliest of the deadly sins?

I have been fighting with a family member who is about 5 years older than me. (I am 37) for over a decade. In fact, it has been on and off for two decades;we have spoke less than a dozen words in the last decade. Funny thing is I don't even care anymore. I don't hold a grudge but neither of us can seem to meet in the middle. I offered to meet her, but she wants to start talking on her terms not mine. I can't seem to just swallow it and let it be her terms and not mine. It doesn't even make sense to me, why is pride so hard to get rid of?

and if you would please, if you believe in prayers, ask Jesus to help me grow up and make these mends. I know what I have to do. I say I am going to do it the next time I see her, but the minute I see her it goes out the window. The last time I saw her I had my ipod on my ears but not on, before I took off the ear buds I heard her talking about me. I turned the music on and ignored her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• just let it be! if she pisses you off so bad ignore her she likes drama!
    Anonymous

• Without a doubt it is:
    Pride
    Main article: Pride
    In almost every list Pride (Latin, superbia),or hubris, is considered the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins, and indeed the ultimate source from which the others arise. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive than others, failing to acknowledge the good work of others, and excessive love of self (especially holding self out of proper position toward God). Dante's definition was "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbor." In Jacob Bidermann's medieval miracle play, Cenodoxus, pride is the deadliest of all the sins and leads directly to the damnation of the titulary famed Parisian doctor. In perhaps the best-known example, the story of Lucifer, pride (his desire to compete with God) was what caused his fall from Heaven, and his resultant transformation into Satan.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I don't know Diva....if you stop and think of it from a pure health stand point I think Lust is probably the most deadly of the seven sins. Think of how many STDs and such people can get these days.....

As for OP, I'm sorry for your situation. I've been in a situation similar and I finally just let it go. If she doesn't want to act like a grown up then fine. Let it be. Be nice when you see her, if that is all you can do then that is all you can do!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• how on earth did this read she is the only one wrong or acting like a child?

Anonymous

• I don't think it was prideful of you to keep the peace by igoring her comments and going on listening to your iPod.

I think your part of humility should be to apologise for your part of the rift in your relationship with her, let her know you love her and leave the door open for her to make the next move. Humility does NOT mean that you have to take the entire blame on yourself or become her doormat in the relationship.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It's a good thing u asked this question...I was wondering the same thing similar situation. I, like you, tried to compromise with my family member, I even tried to explain to her that I only got a little loud (no swearing or disrespect, mostly crying), because this situation affects my kids. She didn't understand. I did apologize, sincerely for getting upset, I apologized for the confusion, I apologized for making her think i was disrespectful, even tho I wasn't. She's the one who called me a bitch, I didn't resort to name calling.
    I asked my priest about this, and he said that I did everything I could to try and reconcile the situation, and if she don't accept, it's on her, there's nothing I can do.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• By the way, u have the right to free will...if her terms collide with ur principles or beliefs, u are not obligated.. if her terms mean, for example, that u cannot speak to ur dad anymore, an ur close with him, pride has nothing to do with it.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'll definately pray for you, but you have to pray for me too. I'm in exactly the same situation with my sister in law. She's just a very jealous, vindictive person. We haven't spoken in 3 years, and it makes the holidays very unpleasant....Say a couple prayers for me as well.
    Forgiveness isn't as easy as it sounds.....
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Oh, and I always thought that envy was the deadliest of the sins...I could be wrong though.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It is hard to struggle with someone you have a problem with. My suggestions if you really want to get over it is to pray first of all for yourself that God will help you remove the hatred from your heart. ask him to help you forgive and that you want to be a better person for yourself , not for hers. Then pray that he will help you be able to deal with her. I have had to pray that God helpme deal with difficult people many times. Perhaps the two of your are not supposed to be close friends, sometimes you have to feed people with a long handle spoon. That means be kind but not fall all over them to be their friend. Good luck.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2009