should an elected official be spending her time like this?

here in Oklahoma we have an "infamous" state representative named Sally Kern. she is the women who said "I honestly think it's [homosexuality] the biggest threat our nation has, even more so than terrorism or Islam - which I think is a big threat, okay?"

today she & several other OK reps, citizens, & religious leaders signed something called the Oklahoma Citizens' Proclamation for Morality which was written by Rep. Kern. in it, the proclamation claims that "we believe our economic woes are consequences of our greater national moral crisis".

im all for free speech & feel she has the right to sign this document (which i disagree with in more way than one), but is this the best use of a state representatives time & resources? should she be using her power to force feed her religious morals on the state?

here is the Proclamation: http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/griffin/NEWS9/PDF/0906/OKMoralityProclamation.pdf

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 8:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely NOT.

My cousin's family was at that protest. He was in the military & he did NOT risk his life so that people like that could use their office to further their personal agendas. Gov't matters are supposed to be SECULAR. Kern runs her mouth about gay politicians using their office to 'further their agenda'. What the heck does she think that SHE is doing? Running a candy drive? But no, it's okay for her to do that. Just not anyone that she disagrees with. That woman actually puts same sex marriage & having children outside of marriage on the same level of child pornography, sex trafficking & child abuse. Oh, & don't forget that she said gays are worse than TERRORISTS.

She even stated herself that she has no idea what she's going to do with that thing once she gets enough signatures. Biased, bigoted, using political office for non-secular matters & personal belief agenda, and a lack of foresight & planning as well!
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 3:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't vote for her and I am pretty conservative. I don't really think moral issues should be legislated. Unless the people of OK vote for someone different, this is what you can expect. Same goes for Pelosi. I think she is a nut bag, but those California raisins keep voting that whack job in.

Anonymous

• I have several friends in OK, and when they talk about her, the conversation usually starts with, "some idiot let Kern out again."
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• it happens all the time..how else do you think certain would-be laws get onto the voting floor? you may not agree with it, but that's just the way the game is played. wouldn't you rather someone of that legal stature have the balls to stand for what they believe in, rather than ride the fence? what if the petition/document is something you do agree with? wouldn't you want all the legal bigwigs/heads to sign on, as well? whether it makes it into law, or as an established policy, will be in the hands of the whole..not just the one.
    also, if the majority voting public disagrees with the actions of her, or others like her (for instance, our current prez), she won't be voted-in again. they do what they can with their time, while its theirs. simple as that.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• This chick is as crazy and Michelle Bachman...and that's freakin crazy!!
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Economic woes the result of our moral crisis?

The only thing I can see directly relevant to that is too much pride and sense entitlement that led so many people and businesses to spend so much money they don't have.
    Anonymous

• I don't think she has a right to sign something like this starting with "We the people of Oklahoma" unless it was voted on BY the people and the majority approved of it!

Anonymous

• sadly, her constituents like her. she was voted back in (even after her horrible comments) 58-42. and even after she tried to carry a loaded gun into the capital building...twice.

its not a law, its just a piece of paper she wrote about how evil ppl are destroying us all & its cause God is angry at us. i just dont understand why she is using the time she should be using for bettering our state but writing this drivel.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• would you rather they spend money on this????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEdJ_tlX2A&feature=related
    Anonymous

• wow anon...i dont feel so bad anymore. thats the biggest waste of time & money i have EVER seen. my DH is from Louisiana & he is PISSED haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:31 AM on Jul. 3, 2009