For Christians: godparents and denominations?

Is it appropriate to ask someone of a different Christian denomination to be the godparent of your child? One of my friends is Catholic (not a strong Catholic, but the children are baptized so they can attend Catholic school.) She is considering asking a mutual friend who is Baptist to be the godparent of one of her children. Is this appropriate, or must the godparent be of the same denomination? If you were asked to be a godparent to a child whose family belonged to a different church, would you agree or not?

Freela

Asked by Freela at 8:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christianity is Christianity, it doesn't matter the denomination. Think of it this way, America is a melting pot of different cultures, would you think it to be inappropriate for someone of a different race or culture to be a Godparent to your child, even if they believe the same way you do? I don't think it matters. I believe in picking God parents for my children based on the values and morals that person will teach my children. I believe that they should be someone who practices my religion, but it doesn't have to be exact.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It depends on the specific church as to whom they will accept as an official Godparent. My BFF is Catholic and her Godparents MUST also be Catholic because they are promising to raise her children in the Catholic faith should the unthinkable happen. Catholics vs. Protestants don't always look at each other as "Christianity is Christianity."

My church accepts anyone as a "Godparent" (we call them "sponsors") because it is the actual congregation that agrees to be the "Godparents" and raise the child up in the faith. The sponsors are just there to represent special people in the lives of the family. My SIL isn't religious but considers herself more Universal Unitarian and my BIL is a Spiritual person and a non-practicing Catholic. We are Presbyterian (PCUSA) and specifically, I am a Christian Universalist and my husband is Christian Agnostic.

It really goes beyond the denomination & to the rules of THEIR church.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• The Catholic Churc requires that godparents be practicing Catholics in good standing. Since their job is to help the parents raise the child in the Catholic faith and being a good example would be part of that - that makes sense. The godparent also respresents the Catholic church as a community who will also help instill the Catholic faith in the child.

Now traditionally there are two godparents - a male and female - but only one godparent is required. Techinically a non-Catholic annot be a 'godparent/sponsor' but they can be a "Christian witness" to the ceremony. The reason for this distinction/restriction a Christian who is not Catholic, although perhaps a very holy, Christian, cannot cannot fully attest to the beliefs of the Catholic Church. So a Baptist could not be "godparent" at a Catholic baptism but could be a "Christian witness".
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Thanks everyone! Eringoborough, this is what I thought... I didn't think that the Catholic church accepted non-Catholics as godparents. Thanks for the info!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• If you really care about religion then you should have the godparents be of the same denomintaion ESPECIALLY if they are going to around the kids alot. But if it doesn't matter I don't think, I don't think it's anything damnable just personal preference.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:55 AM on Jul. 3, 2009