What kind of ring would you rather have?

I was flipping channels today and stopped on 1 of the shopping channels. They were selling this "diamond" ring for like $50. It was like 2 carats. I guess to most people it would pass as real. So would you rather your husband/boyfriend get you an engagement ring that is a real diamond but pretty small, or would you rather have a fake 1 that would pass for real? My engagement ring is pretty small, but I love it. Over the years my husband has offered to get me a bigger one, but I won't do it. This is the 1 he picked out for me. The 1 he could afford at the time. And it is the 1 that he got down on 1 knee with 13 years ago and asked me to marry him. I wouldn't change it for anything. But I know some women want bigger rings, and there is nothing wrong with that at all. That is your preferance. But would you rather it be real or fake?

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 9:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I told my husband that I would be just content with a twisty tie around my finger. He was unemployed at the time and didnt have a lot of money. He saved and got me a small 1/8 carrat diamond engagement ring and a plain white gold band. He spend about 250 dollars on it. It is perfect. It may be small but the thought behind it was huge. He feels bad that he could not get me anything bigger and I told him that I really didnt care if I didnt have a ring, this was perfect.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'd rather it be a ring he can afford, that he picked out b/c he loves me and wants to spend the rest of his life with me and he thinks it's a good ring to symbolize that. Real or fake would make no difference to me as long as I knew he didn't go broke for it and that he picked it for me, with the idea of forever in mind.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Definitely real. I would be VERY angry if I found out it was fake. I think "fake" diamonds set a bad tone for the future of the relationship. The only exception would be if "I" was the one that wanted the "fake" ring and brought it up.

If my husband couldn't afford a proper diamond ring, he wouldn't have proposed until he had one, but other couples have different expectations, and that is fine.

As for getting "bigger" rings down the line, I'm pretty opposed to that if you are replacing your engagement ring with the new ring.

However, if you will be wearing the new one on your right hand, I think that is perfectly acceptable.

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 9:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'd rather have a modest real ring. I only say that because one that looks real doesn't for very long. My sil had a few, one turned her finger, one turned from silver to gold looking, and one was too big and dull to look real. She only wears a modest real wedding band for now. Both mine are real, modest--not too small and not too big--but real. My husband wanted to buy me a "nicer" bigger set one year for birthday or Christmas, but I said I'd like my old stuff. :)
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'd rather have a smaller stone but not diamond because do not like them. When my hubby and I got married the only thing we could afford were $10 sterling silver rings from wal-mart and I love it. I don't really care about the ring because I think what's between us is more important.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Absolutely real. Luckily, mine is farely big AND real, but it's not HUGE. I tried on larger ones and the jewelry salesman was shocked because my husband offered to buy me one that was double the carat weight for the one I chose, and I chose the smaller one. He told my husband that I was a rarity, lol. I have really tiny hands, so the really large ring looked ridiculous. It almost looked fake bc it looked so large. Still though, I'm not one that likes a "fake" anything, so I'd choose smaller and real any day, especially for a wedding or engagement ring.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• real real real real real real
    lol
    and if the man i marry cant afford a diamond at the time or engagement then id prefer a nice saphire ring over a fake ring any day

but i am with you., the one they propose with, thats what i want for life, its not all about the rock, but the sentiment behind it
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I have one that's 1/4 kt but love the hell out of it!! We started off with fake ones but it was one I picked out and a year later I got the set I have now I don't care if its real or fake just as long as the person giving it to me is real

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 9:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• "Definitely real. I would be VERY angry if I found out it was fake.I think "fake" diamonds set a bad tone for the future of the relationship. "

That's pretty superficial, don't ya think? While I wouldn't want a fake ring either, the value of the ring should in no way determine the value of the relationship. If it did, the couple shouldn't be getting married in the first place. My parents had plain gold bands and they've been married for over 30 years. Now she has a beautiful diamond ring, but she never needed one initially for my dad to prove his love for her. THAT is more romantic than the largest diamond ring out there. Not to mention...your theory on it setting a bad tone for the relationship is false. I've known women with HUGE, real diamond rings that were filing for divorce papers within a year of the wedding.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• i have a real one its 3 kt and i love it.. i wouldn't ever want a fake.. cause i would know.. but then again i don't do fake anything only real coach and dolce for me!
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 9:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2009