For those of you who use a breast pump what is the best one that is reasonably priced? I have heard the Medala but those are WAY out of my price range ($500 for the model I like that's ridiculous)

finallyamom40

Asked by finallyamom40 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I saw my model at babies r us, but this was a few yrs ago, but I doubt it went up in price....but like I said before with my 1st child, I rented one that I found via the hospital put me in touch with and it was about 6$ or so a month because I was supposed to pay 3 mos at a time but ended up paying like 75$ for the year to be safe since I was working at the time. It actually looked like a blue tool box with a strap. but it worked awesome. just as strong as the one in the hospital and you could plug it in. You can by all the tubing and bottles and nipple sheilds whatever in one package for under 20$ but the hospital will provide you with a some if you ask. they really dont care. good luck
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• you can allwas rent one from the hosp or from a lactation consultant
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Medela and Ameda pumps are the only ones that I would recommend. I bought my Ameda pump in style for $300 3 years ago from a medical supply store.

I would expect to pay no less than $200 for a good pump.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 9:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I had Medela with both kids... They were FREE through WIC. If you qualify for WIC you should be able to get a free one and free cloth breast pads...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I bought a Medela about two years ago and it was around 400. I am happy that I made the purchase. I worked and bf so I think it made it a lot easier to bf while working.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 9:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• i just bought an evenflo $40 pump... here wic dosent cover pumps, and the hospital would only let you use them there.. plus i was staing hoem and didnt need to pump a lot... it did well for us though.. when he was gone i pumped every 2 hours, and got atleat 4 oz...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Depends on what you are going to be using it for, working you NEED a medela or ameda doubel pump, any other brand will die or not work well enough for that amount of use.

Avoid evenflo brand they breakdown, gerber is awful too...avent makes a good manual the Isis, WIC loans or gives out pumps to working moms, they also give free manuals to all BFing moms working or not. LC often have free pumps to give away in the hospital,

BTW there aren't any $500 medela pumps heres good ones
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2588014&CAWELAID=107521616
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2901999
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3214492
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3331868
    http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=7316&&cm_mmc=cse-_-googlebase-_-null-_-null&cvsfa=912&cvsfe=2&cvsfp=HO-026
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yeah, once we know what you'll be using it for, we'll be better able to advise you. :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Don't kill me on this but I bought a medela pump on ebay. It is completely enclosed and the milk never enters the pump or anywhere near it. They sell accessory kits that include sheilds, tubing, and bottles and several other things. I threw away any of the parts that came that had been used by the previous owner. They were the same parts that came in the accessory kit.

it was $95
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• MANY hospitals and breastfeeding supply stores as well as lactation consultants have "rent to own" plans where you pay very minimal payments until you've paid off the cost of your pump.

By the way I have the most advanced Medela pump that can be bought in stores (non hospital grade) and it was 300. I know 300 is a lot of money but there is a BIG difference between 300 and 500.

Also if you qualify for WIC they will give you a FREE Medela or Ameda pump to keep if your going back to work or school.

They just gave my sister a BRAND NEW Ameda Purely Yours. Those pumps are 300 + in the store.

I've never heard of ANY state who's WIC didn't pay for breastpumps. You may just have to ask and there are qualifications. They don't give them to everyone. Like here if you get ANY formula from them (even a couple of cans a month) you don't qualify for a pump. You have to be exclusively breastfeeding.

Anonymous